Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Dust control for TCG and surface grinder

<< < (2/5) > >>

PekkaNF:
Thank you. I was not aware that there is also larger bore lockline.

I'm thinking to clear out surroundings around this TCG and need to relocate some crap/threasure and cabinets to create more defined space for it. I may need to buy some welding curtain to keep the debris at that end of the garage, but not rushing it yet.

If I have any time left I will try to build some sort of Thien separator and try that with shop vac. I have some short pieces of 50-60 mm ID smooth inside/corrugated outside type hose I'm planning of using. Have to test few ideas before building any too grandious palaces solidly on cloud.

When I have dry separator (bafle or cyclone) and air flow sorted I need to consider filter. Then I consider shop vac or fan...I would very much prefer shop vac if I can cope with it.

There is one thing that keeps on coming back: water based coolant i.e. wet grinding....that would solve some problems and create new ones. I'm not thinking of preparing for that one, but somewhat curious.

Pekka

PekkaNF:
And after cleaning my garage, followed up this work - wheel guard for surface grinding

Most importat feature is that the larges wheel will fit in comfortably. I designed the parts around that assumption. However some material was bit marginal on width (plenty thick!) and I changed the design on the fly....when welding had one dimenssion +20 mm on wrong way...left whole less margin for mounting :hammer:

Therefore I need to revise the order I put parts together. Pretty much just draw a c-c for the wheel on guard and that determined where I made about 50 mm hole with hole saw - size had to be big enough to clear the wheel mount but such that I could use one pair of mount to centre the guard to spindle axis AND then use that location to mark and fix the mounting.

Got pretty close, drilled and taped M6 hole + ample clearance hole on the guard to make it possble to fix the location. Clamped parts in situ and then drilled, tapped, and countersunk the parts.

Looks fine - time to open the centering hole to allow mounting the guard without any need to remove the wheel.

I have three alternative places for suction. Going to check one 100 mm dia with cheap dust extractor to see if that size is ok or I need to find the space to fit one 2.2 kW fan that is scary noisy and probably very much of overkill.

PekkaNF:
Went garage and failed to do next two steps :thumbup:

1: This guard needs a detachable front cover. I have two design nin my mind. I can't deside if it should be hinged on the the top (stays open when swung way back onto spar) OR detachable, pins and finger screws. Tried to find 3 mm steel plate and had no apropriate piece, need to put that on my shopping list.

2: I have to deside over dust control, I have a plan B (50 mm pipe for flexible hose front of the guard), plan C (50 mm pipe at the back side of this guard, exiting axially to spindle (most compact, and propably least efficient).

Plan A is to attach a chute with 100 mm flexible hose near table and near guard. There I have considered two options

A1: Fixing to grinding spindle mount. Overarm and hanging down. Plus that it can be placed near the guard (gringind wheel) and will probably provide good dust removal and easy hose routing. Minus from needing an articulated arm or other means of adjustment. Fixed mounting is going inerfere with magnetic chuck or piece eventually.

A2: Fixed to table. Plus is simple mounting and it can't interefe with magnetic chuck or clams under grinding inadvertdly. Minus is that when grinding the long pice it will be at the other end of the table....

One mounting method might not be eneough....I am nutating between these two.....thinking which one would be the first I need. Probably will try the A2 first, because it is easiest and gets me working fastest.

There is party today I have to attend, will start working on this today night or tomorow.

Pekka

PekkaNF:
A2, something like this?

PekkaNF:
Went on one 50:th Birthday and got some time after it.

I stared the parts and I thought that I got pretty good idea how to mount the duct on table most easy way. M10 threaded rod and flat bar milled to dimenssions and threaded M10.

I was thinkking of using a M8 knob to attach it, but cam might be nice to make for a change.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version