Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Dust control for TCG and surface grinder

<< < (5/5)

russ57:
Check out the woodworkforums.com

There is a great forum on dust collection...

One thing that helps a lot is a 'bell mouth hood' rather than just a 'square' end to the hose. Much better transition reduces turbulence, increases flow.

What about a short length of dryer vent hose? Pretty cheap Ali duct.

Russ

PekkaNF:
Has been pouring rain here (finally rain, now we probably have deluge next). Today was thunder strikes and rain in alternating order....made welding outside and use of powertools mater of timing. I'm not fond of working when there is a thunder.

Got a little bit ready for test and then thunder prevented me from testig it, but I can use that time usefull here and entertain you with my ramblings.

Idea on this experiment is to place small diameter (52 mm hose size) very close to spark spray in such an angle that high velocity particles will ram right into nozzle, even thoug the air velocity would not be greatest ever. Secondary purpose is to have suction in the guard/hood to contain the particles that go around the wheel.

There are some compromises...when I originally made the guard I was considering making an union for suction into it, that would benefit from adjustable guard. I wanted to make guard pretty solid in case something goes wrong, so I ditched the idea of guard suction. With 5 mm hot rolled steel it feels a little excessive for 160-180 mm grinding wheels. But now that horizontal adjustment would be handy. I deed to make suction nozzle adjustable and I need to weld extra piece to noxxle to close thea cap that opens between the guard and nozzle when nozzle is adjusted for new or bigger wheel.

I tack welded with a stick to see if everything is aligned. Looks OK.

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version