Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Dust control for TCG and surface grinder

<< < (4/5) > >>

PekkaNF:
There is a temporary plate at the front of the guard (I removed it to take pictures), there seem to be whole lot less "sparks" bouncing of the guard with this nozzle attached to guard - compared to prevous test.

Another variable is that this nozzle is at constant distance from the grinding wheel and very close. The funnel was at the considerable distance on the moving table.

I only have a stick welder, I could not finish this 50 mm nozzle and I noticed that it is very imprtant to get the nozzle head on to spark spray. I put some PVC material and observed that it took a direct hit. Nozzle needs a little more projection at the bottom.

Wonder if I could locate the 100 mm hose stationary close to guard and build a simple pre separator for it.

Annother thing is that there is a rubber lip on Gerrit's drawing ... need something like this and maybe a brush strip type thinggy at the other three sides of the guard.

I am very bussy at the work and stuff this week and probably next week too, I can spare maybe hour or two each night to test stuff, but I'd like commit one way or another soon, to finish it.

WeldingRod:
Might try a soft, long bristle brass brush at the bottom rather than rubber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

gerritv:
Sounds like thinks are converging on a solution!

3 more pages, these describe various cyclones. The top LH one on last page seems simple enough to build.

PekkaNF:
Tried to think this over.....

1. Sealing strip/brush....I don't want any hard material that would cause an havoc when piece of it will be sucked between part and spinning grinding wheel.

2. Flexible hose? I noticed that when I used a piece of PVC near the grinding stone it was fine, but at the exact spot where majority of the propelled sparks hit was caked and melted only after 15 min of use. This got me thinkking of the hose material.

Some rubbers are pretty good with abrassives, not all of them are good for oils (if I ever have temptation to wet grind for any reason), same for PU.

Aluminium corrugated hose is probably "yikes" for most obivious reason...think of iron dust, rust, dust, possibly oil or such previous machining + AL. Does anything comes to mind? :scratch:

There are some really professional materials, but really difficult to buy one metre I need (reels are 10 metres) and they are expensive!

I got a nice zap from the last experiment....that hose is not antistatic!

Pekka

PekkaNF:
Few more tests and results are still inconclusive. I have now two very different avenues under construction:

1. Low flow, high suction (shop vack) and for it I am trying to build optimized suction nozzle. I did not anticipate it to be that much work, but I took 45 degree angle, tilted, turned and when it looked right i marked and cut, then beat the other end square (1 hour on one evening) and tried to make bracket for it (2 hours another eveneing) still needs to weld it together.

2. High flow, low pressure system. Think of the cheapest & nastiest repurposed wood working dust extractor as a fan, body and boss for a big filter.

This would need a preseparator made out of steel. Any ideas?

https://woodgears.ca/reader/hector/shopvac.html

How would is scale for about 300 mm dia drum and 100 mm hose on inlet and same size pipe on outlet :scratch:

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version