The Shop > Our Shop

Small Shops and Tiny Toolboxes

<< < (3/5) > >>

AdeV:

--- Quote from: Bee on September 03, 2017, 02:51:27 PM ---Proximity to kitchen (for coffee) and loo for disposing of coffee.

--- End quote ---

Definitely those two...

--- Quote from: Bee on September 03, 2017, 02:51:27 PM ---It could have a bench designed for sitting at, with a good window for day dreaming out of, and above all very good insulation and heating so it is no discomfort to actually use.

--- End quote ---

Hmm... I'm sure some of our older members could verify this... but I find if I have a good daydreaming work bench in a nice warm office/workshop, then no matter how good or otherwise the view is, I find myself dozing off... no matter how much caffeine I throw at the problem!

Jo:

--- Quote from: sparky961 on September 02, 2017, 06:55:38 PM ---A lot of the discussion here and in other hobby pursuits tend to focus on progressively getting more space, bigger and better machines, and more and more tooling.

I'm interested in exploring the opposite.  If you were to make your shop smaller and smaller, and have the fewest amount of tools to do something useful, what would you keep? 
--- End quote ---

I already have my small (house) workshop: It consists of Little C and Sexy  :coffee:

Jo

John Hill:
When I was doing a bit of blue water sailing (32' sloop) we had a very basic workshop on board.  There was a plank under my bunk which could be lifted up and flipped over to use the vise that was bolted underneath.

Tools were basic and only one of anything.  Hammer, wood chisel, cold chisel, spanners that fitted the little diesel, copper soldering bolt, solder, flux cored solder, spirits of salts(carefully stowed), drills, hacksaw, tenon saw, breast drill, screw drivers, spanners and no doubt quite a few things I forget.  These all fitted in a plastic bin with a lid and a generously oiled rag which went in on top and kept the rust at bay.

one_rod:
These are basically trailers for a TV show, but give a brief view of Grace Horne's tiny, but perfectly functional, workshop. Which is built in a converted public toilet in Sheffield.

The second vid. shows a little more detail about the shop itself. If anything the videos make the place look bigger than it actually is. I've been inside, and with two people and Grace's dog the place is very cosy. Still, she manages to be a full time, professional knifemaker in there. Proof that you don't need that much room to do good work.

Mike E.:

--- Quote from: sparky961 on September 02, 2017, 06:55:38 PM --- .............................. when you look back in history to the time when objects were simpler and easier to repair, the home handyman's arsenal was much smaller than it is today.  The most skilled of them still did some pretty amazing work.
--- End quote ---

Here are a couple of photos from an early 1940's book I have.  It gives you an idea of what a small home workshop would have looked like. The tools described in the book were manually operated hand tools, and only a lathe was mentioned as far as machinery; and apparently only for those with a fat wallet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version