Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Scraper Blade Material

<< < (2/3) > >>

efrench:
How about Abrasion Resistant steel that is used in bulldozer blades?

mattinker:
A pic would have made this easier to see what your talking about, but how about a leaf from a leaf spring, you can normalise it, work it and harden and temper.

Regards, Matthew

sparky961:
Like efrench said, I'd be leaning toward AR400 or even AR500, though I recall knowing at some point that the QT alloys are similar. It isn't definitive, but maybe helps in your search.

Pete.:

--- Quote from: fatal-exception on August 17, 2017, 02:51:12 PM ---Hey Guys, thought I would ask the smartest group of guys I know for some advice. I've designed and had a floor scraping attachment made for our skidsteer. We have a large paintshop and when the fire commisioner came through last, he commented that we can't let the paint build up on the floor. So it's been about 2 years and the paint is about an inch thick, all types from enamels and epoxy's. The scraper attachment itself works great and the skidsteer can put enough pressure down to get under the paint, but I'm not sure what to try next for the actual blade. We had a bunch of QT100 plate laying around, so I made the first blade out of it, but it only lasted a few hours. (which I was actually surprised about...)

What would be the ideal material and heat treatment to make a tough and durable blade. It measures 18" x 3" x 1/2" thick with a 30deg bevel.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

--- End quote ---

I'd go with AR plate but I would put it on the underside so the bevel is against the floor and the flat face on top. It'll self-sharpen then.

howsitwork?:
For speed and easy replacement I'd go with the planer blade from say a wadkin attach it to the end of the plate via its mounting holes and you're away. The mounting holes are generally elongated to allow for sharpening and as it's HSS should last fairly well as the floor will self sharpen it.

Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version