Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Minnie on the cheap!

<< < (2/17) > >>

NormanV:
The way I was proposing to cast it would not involve two streams of metal meeting. I will let you know how it works when I can find the copper.

Jasonb:
I'd just cast the bearings in aluminium and then bore them out slightly oversize and sleeve then with an offcut of bronze or brass.

I had a bad casting on one of mine and just cut the flange from a bit of 1/8" steel and soldered on the teardrop shaped part.

Another alternative as you can obviously machine them from solid is to do then in cast iron cut from an old square sash weight, shafts will run OK in the iron.

If you do want to cast in bronze then old stop cock and gate valve bodies are often DZR bronze and would do the job as the bearings won't be seeing much use if you are just going to run on air.

NormanV:
I have cast the wheel hubs in aluminium and sleeved them but I just wanted an excuse to try casting bronze. It is also quite interesting to try using a plaster mould taken from machined metal patterns that are more accurate than what I could produce using wood.

Pete W.:
I think you'll have fewer problems with the copper + tin variety than with aluminium bronze. 

NormanV:
Pete, what sort of problems am I likely to have? I would have to buy the tin, I've got aluminium.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version