Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Engraving cutter sharpening

<< < (2/3) > >>

chipenter:
I am pleased to say the sharpend cutters work without breaking , sharpend the rest potoes show the relief ,
Norm I took some photoes of the Tinker its mounted on a Victorian Britannia lathe slide , no dials in those days perhaps thats were the term a smidge and a Nats wisker pluss outher parts come from .

chipenter:
I was premature in saying no breakages tried cutting some CZ108 brass today , my mini mill did not like that at all and what it did cut looked rough antill the cutter broke .

Fergus OMore:

--- Quote from: chipenter on August 17, 2017, 04:54:19 PM ---Norm I took some photoes of the Tinker its mounted on a Victorian Britannia lathe slide , no dials in those days perhaps thats were the term a smidge and a Nats wisker pluss outher parts come from .

--- End quote ---

I must say 'thank you' for an interesting resume. I understand it fully.

I also recall the old battle between the Quorn Owners and those  with a couple of brackets- laughingly called a Tinker.

Cheers

Norm

philf:
CZ108 is the problem and probably not your mini mill - CZ121 or CZ120 engrave much better.

I made a door plate out of CZ108 (because it's what I had handy) but engraved it with a 2 flute slot drill rather than an engraving cutter. I think you need positive rake (rather than the zero rake of your cutters), lots of clearance and lubricant to get away with it.

Phil.

chipenter:
I modified the holder today as it put to mutch relife on , the cut was 1.2mm wide and cut the tops of the letters that should have stood proud , bored out the threads and fitted a plain collet holder , the relife is obtained by a flat on the leading edge and grinding the rest off , I still have to put some on indexing to get the required angle , the flat can be seen in the photo .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version