Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Propane Burner

<< < (2/3) > >>

catceefer:
Norman,

I do not know whether it will help, but I needed a torch for brazing a large copper structure and put together a torch to run on propane and compressed air from a normal compressor. I used an old oxy-acetylene torch as a basis. The torch worked well, with a fairly large flame. The details below are from a post that I made on another site. Later, I build a more refined version that gets hotter, uses less air and has a less wild flame.

The attached image gives the details and sizes of the torch.

Finally, I decided to build a compressed air assisted propane torch. I found some useful information on the internet and used it to build my own.

I took a disused oxy-acetylene torch and made a new nozzle to fit onto a swan neck. The sketch below gives the main dimensions, none of which seems to be too critical.

I made my torch before I had my lathe working, so everything it rather loose and wonky. I brazed it all together and it works.

I have connected the air line from the torch to the hose from a compressor and the gas line to the propane tank. I have blow-back arrestors in both hoses. I use the torch with the compressor and propane set to full.

The settings on the torch controls themselves is quite critical and needs careful setting. However, once the right combination of gas and air is found, the flame is quite compact, extremely hot and very noisy.

I used it on copper, using Rotherberger-Rolot S2 rods.

This short video shows the torch running. The flame is off-centre, mainly because the whole thing is a little wonky.  &feature=youtu.be

Regards,

James.

chipenter:
I think you need a flair , a shallow expanding taper on the tube that fits over the burner , then adjust the flame by the pressure regulator .

NormanV:
Thank you all, there are a few ideas there for me to mess around with. I know that I am trying to reinvent the wheel, messrs, Seivert and Bullfinch have gone there before but I am trying to do it without spending any money. I'll have to go to a few car boot sales and see what I can find.

drmico60:
Here is another propane burner based on the Mike Porter design:
http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/propane-burner.html
Mike

russ57:
Search for 'Ron reil' burner - he was an early 'practitioner of the art' of homebuilt burners - if I recall, his web pages also cover some other styles, all of which inspired mike porter to develop his, with I believe higher efficiency.

-russ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version