Home Base > Introductions

Greetings All

<< < (4/5) > >>

seadog:
Or in Win 10 Andrew. If you open in a new tab you do get an image you can view in one, but it's a pain to have to do it for a lot of images.

AdeV:
Andrew - click on "Open Image in New Tab", this will then auto-size to full-screen. Clicking on the image will then zoom it to full size, clicking again will once again fit it to your screen.

As Seadog says - a bit of a nuisance if there's lots of images, but OK if there's just one or two.

British Reaction Research:
Doubleboost's go kart is an astonishing piece of engineering. It's a jet engine though. I'm building a rocket engine. It is a liquid fuelled engine using isopropyl alcohol as the fuel and nitrous oxide as the oxidiser.

The fuel is used as a coolant in a jacket surrounding the combustion chamber and nozzle. This is called regenerative cooling. The fuel is mixed with water to increase its heat capacity. Also a small amount of silicon oil is added. When this burns with the fuel it creates a continuously renewing and very thin glass like substance on the chamber walls. This acts like an insulating shield to reduce to transfer if heat to the chamber walls.

PK:

--- Quote from: British Reaction Research on August 15, 2017, 05:59:48 PM ---I'm building a rocket engine. It is a liquid fuelled engine using isopropyl alcohol as the fuel and nitrous oxide as the oxidiser.
--- End quote ---
Will you have enough flow? even if you went really fuel rich then you're still talking, what, 5:1 o/f?

The lack of oxygen by weight and the reasonably high heat of formation make NOX a reasonably unattractive choice for fuel cooled regen.

I once built an ox cooled NOX biprop.... Pyrovalve ignition, worked really well until it ran out of liquid N20, then it ate itself....
If I'd just used something like a floating ball to plug the feed when it transitioned to gaseous mode it may have survived.
PK

British Reaction Research:
Hi PK,

Thanks very much for your interest and your comments.

I don't fully understand though. Why would I not get enough flow? And are you saying you built a Nox cooled motor?

Sorry for being slow on the uptake,

Carl.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version