The Shop > Tools

Edgwick lathe update

<< < (2/2)

Houtenkrullen:

--- Quote from: mat9900 on August 03, 2017, 08:14:03 AM ---My next problem is both the micrometer dials are rusted beyond reading- which has made using the lathe somewhat tricky! Does anyone have any advice or info on sourcing replacements please? I had thought (well more hoped) that they would clean up but sadly they are too far gone :(

--- End quote ---

Since you didn't include a picture I am not sure this is helpful, but if possible I would clean up the surface (chuck it in a lathe?) and then put it on a dividing head or the likes and "scratch"  new lines on the mill or even drill press (locked spindle) with something like a boring bar, and then punch the numbers.

In fact I have a dividing attachment for my lathe, so I have made replacement dials by turning and then scratching the lines with a thread cutting bit in the toolholder in the same setup. Length of lines was set with stop on the bed and different "distance blocks" for the shorter lines. But since most people don't have this option the previous mentioned way probably is the way to go.
Peter

John Stevenson:
From memory the Edgwick is 250 divisions so not an easy. One. To buy

Home and workshop might have some 250 dials to sell

AdeV:

--- Quote from: John Stevenson on August 03, 2017, 02:56:09 PM ---From memory the Edgwick is 250 divisions so not an easy. One. To buy

Home and workshop might have some 250 dials to sell

--- End quote ---

200 on the 'thou dials IIRC, I don't know about ze French versions.

mat9900:
Hi, thanks for the info guys. I think they are too far gone for it to work but will try the electrolysis idea- if for no other reason than I have never tried it before and there is nothing to lose! Will let you know how it works out!
Thanks, Matt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version