Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

Quick and dirty die-nut.

<< < (2/4) > >>

edward:
I've done very similar for some damaged threads on some brass fixture screws using steel nuts, although I didn't need to harden mine. I countersunk one side of the nut as it seemed to help it engage the thread (damage was near the end). I was quite surprised at how well it worked, I was expecting it to be a quick fix until we got new fixings but the fixture is still in use months later.

shipto:
do or did they sell kasonite pre dented? dont think I have ever seen a properly round tin in my life.

vtsteam:
Mine has a dent.

Fergus OMore:

--- Quote from: vtsteam on July 19, 2017, 10:17:34 PM ---Mine has a dent.

--- End quote ---

Exactly as designed! The manufacturers of the stuff hoped that once you had bought it that the tin would collapse and spill contents-- so that you would have to buy another tin. Again, I doubt that making cans( USA) and tins( UK)  could economically make distorted out of round containers.  I recall( very vaguely) pushing tinplate through solder horses- three high- and then they were split.
Remember if the guys were trying to save minute amounts of cash by using negative torroidal seams( then)  loomed. Somebody had already done a costing of just how thin the steel would have to be and more importantly, how thick the deposition of even more costly tin would have to - get away( my view) on the steel.

On the other side of packaging there was something called- lightweight glass.

Now, I'm sort of having a new workshop, my ersatz case hardening compound is in a plastic  container- probably cheaper than the original 'tin' but designed to do exactly the same as the original tin- but  the plasticiser would degenerate- and go to powder.

I went past Durham Cathedral in the train a day or so ago, it was designed  to last forever for the glory of God but we don't think that way anymore.  We don't mend poor quality steel in spindles and  we roll the thread and have rattling good fits on nuts which are-- clears throat- radioactive from recycled metal originally designed to replace case hardening.

Fun, init? Well, now the Brits are having to go to 68 to get their State pension-- or so it is said.
I got out of the rat race at 55- my own case hardening was already wearing through.

Have a nice day or whatever

Norm

vtsteam:
Nevertheless, it's a sunny day, here, today, Norman, and the family and I are going to clean up and paint the boat. :ddb:

And should I find a damaged thread anywhere in the next few years I intend to do as one_rod has!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version