Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Electric motor question

<< < (8/8)

hanermo:
These are my thoughts / experiences for 2€..

ANYTHING threaded rod in common/normal use is crap.. wears out, binds, rusts, leaks..
anything whiny or with noise, you built, will annoy You forever..
at the loads, I would aim for about 20-30 mm D threaded rod ... AND with acme/trapezoidal, if only using one rod, and no linear guides.
Friction is HUGE with small threaded rod under load.

It is not the load rating ... its the cantilever effect causing the binding.
(If you were lifting a rigid bit from the center, then the effect is vastly reduced, perhaps 20-fold.)

Cheap small air-cylinder counterweights are available for around 5-10 € each.
They can maybe reduce torsion/cantilever effects 20x or more, for not much money.

Perhaps .. fix one or more cylinders next to legs, try it, if it is good, add more as needed, then bolt them inside the vertical legs for looks, not to bother, protection, "neat".

vtsteam:

--- Quote from: hanermo on June 28, 2017, 12:50:48 PM ---ANYTHING threaded rod in common/normal use is crap..
--- End quote ---

Hmm, I guess that would include my Gingery lathe built 15 years ago, its milling attachment, the CNC hot wire foam cutter I built 5 years ago, and an automated filter sampler I built for a Cary 5000 spectrophotometer for a high tech optical firm that I worked for 12 years ago.  :dremel:

AdeV:

--- Quote from: Noitoen on June 26, 2017, 04:37:55 PM ---I don't think it's a worm drive. It does not work well as wheelchair motor. To acheive the 90° setup they usually use bevel gears.

--- End quote ---

OK, so I finally got around to looking inside the gearbox last night. It's still not 100% certain, because the thing was so full of black grease that I couldn't easily find the input shaft, without washing the grease out... however, the fact that there's a large gear with "throated" teeth suggests strongly to me that it is worm drive. The large worm-driven gear is attached to the same shaft as a small spur gear, which is then transmitted to a larger cog which is on the output shaft. The gear can be slid along the output shaft to disconnect it from the drive spur, a spring pushes it back into mesh when required.

I didn't power up with the lid off, as I didn't fancy getting sprayed with grease!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version