The Shop > Tools

Bench Grinders & Lathe Tools.

<< < (2/6) > >>

AdeV:
I bought a cup-type wheel to go on one side of my bench grinder (had to turn up a bush to make it fit properly - gotta love lathes!). Now I just need a few Round Tuits to make a suitable tool rest so I can grind true flat HSS tools... but since I mostly use carbide insert tooling (the Glanze range from Chronos mostly, being fairly good value, or whatever I can find second hand on the 'bay), any surviving Tuits have been deployed elsewhere...

fatal-exception:
I use the side of the wheel all the time and have been doing so for 30 years and have never had any problems. Maybe they don't want you using the side because the tool rest usually dosen't wrap around the wheel? I say use any part of the wheel required to get the result you need.  :beer:

Paul

Pete.:
The single best piece of advice I can give you is get hold of a good dressing tool. I can't stand to grind on my bench grinder now until I give the wheel a quick swipe to open it up. It really makes a world of difference not only in terms of grinding speed but also in heat input. A dull wheel grinds slowly and heats up the part quickly.

vtsteam:
I think side pressure on the wheel is probably considered bad because you're putting the wheel sideways in tension, which isn't the forte of most forms of ceramics. Also the possibility of wearing a groove and making a stress riser there. That plus vibration. Well and getting something caught between table and the stone, and really jamming that side pressure on.

Having just proposed that theory, I use the side of the wheel all the time, and use wheels 10 years old. I also grind lathe tools on the front of the wheel often, and live with the hollow grind that results. In other words I do everything totally wrong.

In defense of such foolishness, I start the grinder and stand away for a half minute, and just keep the above worries in mind, dress (not seriously grind) only small (1/4") HSS lathe tools on the side of the wheel (mainly for top rake), use light pressure, avoid making grooves, etc. In other words I use what I think is common sense -- others may disagree -- and they might even be right!

I don't try to shorten big bolts on the side of the wheel, nor axeheads, nor staging nails. Or even initially shape a lathe tool there. A manufacturer sells grinders to all kinds of people, who do all kinds of things to them, so if I were a manufacturer, I would not only tell the public not to grind on the side of the wheel, but not to grind on the front, either.  Rather just put it in the shop to admire.

sparky961:
Make up some better tool rests. The flimsy sheet metal ones that come with most consumer bench grinders are just about useless. I use the flimsy ones still but if I spent a lot of time at the grinder I'd make some very rigid adjustable ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version