The Shop > Software Tools

Windows 10 Pro Classic Shell

<< < (4/5) > >>

PekkaNF:
Heatpipe thinggy?

awemawson:
So boot it up, and I get a bios report of "CPU1 DIMM3 Incompatible"  :bang:

No big issue - they were cheap secondhand (though genuine HP spec) units and I can only fit five of them anyway bringing the total complement to eight x 4 Gb = 32 Gb - so replace the DIMM with the spare.

..... SAME error report  :bang:

Swap DIMMS about in case there are two faulty ones - SAME error report  :bang:

OK who says it's the DIMM memory unit itself at fault - it could be the newly installed XEON X5550 CPU, after all it has umpteen channels direct to the memory.

So I pull it all apart again, remove the air ducting AGAIN, whip off the CPU cooler, remove the cpu and give everything a very close examination with a magnifying glass to reveal this :

awemawson:

--- Quote from: PekkaNF on June 14, 2017, 09:44:40 AM ---Heatpipe thinggy?

--- End quote ---

Yes I assume so Pekka

awemawson:
If you look VERY carefully at the pictures of the (confoundedly tightly packed) FCLGA1366 socket one of the pins is bent  :bang:

Now this motherboard was originally never equipped with dual CPU's and the socket had a protective cover over it, but at some stage in manufacture it obviously got damaged.

Glad to say I managed to find a microscopic pair of tweezers and actually straightened it AND IT WORKED  :ddb: :ddb:

I must say I didn't expect that good result  :wave:

So while typing this another interruption - the UPS man delivering my  Nvidia GTX 660 graphics card so watch this space for the next upgrade  :wave:

awemawson:
So the pigs are fed, and enjoying their hydroponic pig cooler, so back into the workshop to get this graphics card installed. It's quite a beast, occupies two slot widths and draws an amazing amount of power - 140 watts as I understand, and needs an auxiliary power feed - 2 Gb ram on board.
So get it unboxed.

I had been concerned how to supply the auxiliary 6 pin power socket as there were no loose cables in the case to rob, until I realised that those clever chaps at HP had made a moulded in clip to park the unused cables in  :ddb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version