Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

FINGER PLATE BUILD HOLDING SMALL PARTS TO MACHINE

<< < (2/3) > >>

ieezitin:
Sparky.

great idea will put this in the design.

Here i am making the locking block for the swivel for the depth stop / scribe arm.

ieezitin:
Its time to mill the male slot onto the swivel arm housing and mill the female slot on the plate

You may have noticed i like using fixture plates, I like to build my operations on a surface plate on the bench while sitting on a stool, situated around me on the bench  I have trays full of bolts, shims, packer blocks and washers, as i build the operation i use the right angle fixture to square off to the surface plate, once its built i can confidently take the build to the mill knowing all i have to do is square it off to either x or y axis. but its biggest advantage is you can hold awkward small parts and perform tight machining operations.

I took sparky's suggestion and made the slot the complete length of the plate.

Ever onward... Anthony.

ieezitin:
Made time to do some lathe work today, I wanted to do some off center turning making a cam so i decided to make the finger handle off=set then apply a knurl to it, since this needed to be applied in the 4 jaw and I did not want to put jaw marks into it i so I made soft jaws out of aluminium strips for in-between shims to stop the marring.

we are getting close to finished... All the best.. Anthony..

ieezitin:
This is how far i got today...

ieezitin:

I was back in the shop for a few hours yesterday and i focused on the scribe / stop arm particularly on the pivot pinion.

The scribe arm cannot have any play in it and needs to be held rigid yet rotate smoothly, i was going to loctite the arm on the pin but i thought ahead and pondered i may want to add another attachment to it so i opted for an expanding mandrel action so i slotted six slots in the pinion and threaded it 10-32 and gave a 60 deg land for the brass threaded knurled thumb screw. I also opted for a lugged circlip to hold the pinion in the pillow block housing keeping it located while the arm raises and lowers.

I so enjoy not working to planned designs as I like to add and subtract features as i go, i also find working this way you never end up with what in the first place you wanted to do its just plane fun.

Enjoy and be happy as Vladimir would say...   :D    Anthony.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version