The Shop > CNC

First project on my new 4th axis, making a micrometer dial

<< < (2/2)

JayMcClellan:

--- Quote from: philf on April 18, 2017, 03:14:53 PM ---
When I say mine's slow it is really slow. Yours looks very quick by comparison. I'm using Mach3 and can't get a fast enough pulse rate. Beggars can't be choosers though because my Harmonic Drive came for free out of a scrap silicon dicing machine from work. I may experiment with a pulse generator to see how fast I can make it go and prove one way or another if my limitation is Mach3.

Cheers.

Phil.

--- End quote ---

Phil, just a suggestion - if your stepper driver is configured for microstepping you can turn that off. With your gear ratio there's not much benefit to microstepping, i.e. it won't significantly improve positional accuracy, but it reduces the maximum speed. With very little load you should be able to run the stepper up to about 1000 RPM and I would think Mach3 should have no problem giving the required 3KHz pulse rate. That should get you 5 RPM output, not zippy but not terrible. Yours will still be 4X slower than mine, but sounds like it was infinitely more affordable.  :clap:

Jay

JayMcClellan:

--- Quote from: nrml on April 19, 2017, 03:59:46 PM ---Thanks for posting that video. I really enjoyed it. The best bit was showing the problems and not editing out the fact that you had to do re-do it more than twice to get it right. Nice website by the way. It is amazing how many of your projects are stuff I have on the go or intend to do in future. I will certainly be visiting it frequently for ideas and inspiration.

--- End quote ---
Glad you enjoyed it. I debated about whether to include the problems or edit them out, not because I'm embarrassed but just to keep the video from getting too long. I decided to leave them in, figuring people might get some benefit (or at least enjoyment) from seeing things go wrong and how I fixed them. After all the best mistakes to learn from are someone else's!

SwarfnStuff:
Jay, it is a truism (I think) that if we don't learn from our mistakes we are doomed to repeat them.
        As you said, "After all the best mistakes to learn from are someone else's!" I too much prefer to learn from others mistakes .  Not that it stops me making the same or similar errors of judgement though.  :scratch:  :zap:
  So thanks for posting your errors of judgement as they are not mistakes, just opportunities to learn?

John B

Fredbare:
Thanks Jay for sharing, very interesting.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version