The Shop > Our Shop

I Needed Some Collet Racks

<< < (3/6) > >>

AdeV:
Andrew - do you have computer control of the power of your plasma gun? It seems to me, if you cranked the power right down, you could have used it to "engrave" those labels instead of making sticky ones!!

awemawson:
Thanks for the kind words chaps  :thumbup:

Ade it is possible to just mark with a Plasma cutter, but if you are not piercing, the resulting vapourised metal is bounced up into the torch wrecking the consumables. For this reason when cutting, the piercing height is higher than the moving / cutting height (3.8 mm and 1.5 mm in the case of the 1.2 mm steel I used here)

Some professionally made tables have a 'plate marker' which is a pneumatically driven vibrating engraver with a tungsten tip. I have a hand held one, and may at some time incorporate it.

RodW:

--- Quote from: awemawson on April 13, 2017, 03:01:03 AM ---
Some professionally made tables have a 'plate marker' which is a pneumatically driven vibrating engraver with a tungsten tip. I have a hand held one, and may at some time incorporate it.

--- End quote ---

Now my table is taking shape, this is on my todo list and I have got as far as buying an oiler for the air operated engraver. They are pretty simple and in my case it will just require making 3 parts, a surplus air ram got for free, a piece of leftover linear rail and a matching carriage.

The higher end plasmas can mark plates using a different gas and lower voltage. I've seen one working and it only cost $130k! I think it used acetylene. I see now that this technology is making its way down into the 40 amp plasma range in the Hypertherm 45XP using Argon (This machine also offers RS485 control of plasma parameters like air pressure and voltage). Very cool, I want one!

DICKEYBIRD:
Wow, acetylene plus plasma; those are the main ingredients of the Star Trek warp drive system, yes? :lol:

PekkaNF:
That is big bunch of collets. Feel like buying some exact size (most of them +0,5 mm) + couple odd sizes for tapping drills.

Those flat pack designs look nice. Have you used plastic or wood? How do they compare?

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version