The Shop > Tools

Startrite 352 Bandsaw mods

<< < (5/5)

Jo:
As you mentioned Pete, only the live and neutral should be insulated but a fair few PC power supplies I have found have plastic earth pins. (The fuse is there to protect the equipment not the operator....) I find that old mains plugs are a good source of nice little bits of brass for my model engines  :thumbup:

I think I have tracked down some nice blades: Starret 6/10VP and 10/14VP £30.78 each :bugeye: It can't be avoided there is no point in having cheap blades they won't last.

Jo 

Pete W.:

--- Quote from: Jo on April 17, 2017, 01:55:15 AM ---As you mentioned Pete, only the live and neutral should be insulated but a fair few PC power supplies I have found have plastic earth pins. (The fuse is there to protect the equipment not the operator....) I find that old mains plugs are a good source of nice little bits of brass for my model engines  :thumbup:

I think I have tracked down some nice blades: Starret 6/10VP and 10/14VP £30.78 each :bugeye: It can't be avoided there is no point in having cheap blades they won't last.

Jo

--- End quote ---

I bought a couple of blades for my Burgess from Tuff Saws at https://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/ (usual disclaimer).  I've been very happy with both the service and with the blades and I learned of them via lots of other peoples' recommendations.

I haven't researched the official IEE (aka 'IET' though they didn't ask me for permission to change their name!!!) opinion on plastic earth pins but I guess, if properly engineered, they'd be OK feeding a double-insulated device.  I guess the relevant 'department' of the IET would be the one that publishes 'Wiring Matters'.

A couple of YouTube channels that are full of electrical safety horror stories are those by John Ward and by BigClivedotcom, well worth a browse!

My understanding is that the fuse in a BS1363 plug is to protect against damage to the flex cable - the device should have more local protection.   

Pete W.:
I'm sorry if this is  :offtopic:   :offtopic:   :offtopic:  but I've started so I'll continue!

I can't post the link directly but I just Googled "Wiring Matters" and then typed 'counterfeit plugs' in the search box.  The references that came up make interesting but sobering reading. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version