Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

travelling steady tool post

<< < (3/3)

gerritv:
I haven't personally tried one yet but the setup is to pick a bushing that fits closely on the raw stock, the cutting tool is to the right of that bushing. As the tool is fed to left towards the headstock, the tool cuts whatever new diameter you need. The bushing keeps the stock from wandering.

Gerrit

SwarfnStuff:
Hi All, 
       This link is to a home made version
where he copied a bought one to suit his job. (Just realized it is from PottyEngineering who posts on here)
This is a similar thing but from Oak and he's turning cane to size.

I think I have seen other videos but cannot find the links.
Still, shows that we are an inventive lot I reckon.
John B

WeldingRod:
I designed and built two follow rests for my hardinge.  The first one I didn't really understand what it was supposed to do... really bodged it.  The second try rocked; I was able to extend the thread on a 1/4"-28 bolt 4" long!
The three leg trap in two planes was a huge step forward.  That let me completely control the work.
Fyi, don't use rollers for a steady.  You want the scraping/sliding action to move chips out of the way.
If you want the design files, head over to thingiverse and search for "Weldingrod".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Pete.:
You might find that an original travelling steady might not suit your needs if you use a quick change tool post anyway. I found this on my 10ee. When the lathe was made it would have used a rocker or a 4-way tool post which holds the tool nearer to the centre line of the cross slide. Because of the dovetail on the inter-changeable holders most QCTP hold the tool much more to the left - right where the steady would be - causing you to have to wind the compound right back to clear it which then loses stability and can cause you problems if you use the compound set at an angle for threading long screws.

I made a steady rest for my 10ee from thick steel and made it so that it holds the fingers in line with the left side of the compound. This is a much better location if you use a modern QCTP and the ways yours is mounted would make it an easy fabrication.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version