Author Topic: I JUST GOT A NOGA  (Read 7573 times)

Offline ieezitin

I JUST GOT A NOGA
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:44:48 AM »
Lads,

For about 6 years I have owned a Chinese knock off on these particular products it came buried in the bottom of a box from an auction, I took to it straight away and eventually got rid of my mag base pole type stands because I found myself going to the Chinese stand. It however has little issues of its own one for example was a plastic knob which I fixed that by making one out of brass, it also looses pressure after about 30 minuets all livable but niggling.

In the last few months I have been playing around on my new Mini mill and found the one i own too bulky and awkward to use on this small unit so I i went on a research sabbatical on Noga as I wanted to justify the higher price, reading all the reviews and price comparisons and being a man who believes you get what you pay for i got the NF1018 from Amazon for $60.00 shipping included.

I chose this one for its small size ie its length, it does not come with a stand which i don't care as i will make to suit, its designed to be held in a collet or chuck for centering on a mill but can be used as a regular arm indicator holder in any position.

It arrived packaged nicely well protected and wrapped with care, my first thought as i extracted it from the paper was its nicely oiled for protection whilst in storage, it was loose and flopped around and once i turned the pressure knob about 30 degrees it instantly froze stiff a wonderful action it has to be sure very fluid and true, its all metal construction coupled with superb machined angles and radius's make this gem of tool to be used everyday for a lifetime. The head is designed to hold two diameter shafts and has a dovetail slot for a test indicator which rotates 180 degrees plus a fine feed screw equipped with a metal knurled knob which has a very smooth precise action.

I have been using it now for a week and my previous go to is now quite lonely sitting on the shelf above the shaper who feels just as alone.

To sum up this is an investment which will not depreciate, its form and function will give many years of pleasure through use, its extremely well manufactured I tip my hat to this Israeli company for making a wonderful tool, I will be purchasing the larger type in the future when i raised funds from the sale of all my other mag holder equipment.

Anthony. 

http://www.noga.com/nogaProducts.php?prdID=NF1022
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Joules

Re: I JUST GOT A NOGA
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 11:51:06 AM »
My sympathies, I too was married to one ages ago.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:55:41 AM »
Joules...

Thats an Oga... i knew her too.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 12:08:18 PM »
Anthony - it was only the link at the end that gave me a clue to your excitement, as to me a Noga is a deburring tool  :scratch:

http://www.noga.com/nogaCategories.php?catID=deb

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline appletree

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 02:57:04 PM »
Yea I wondered where it was going too? Also to me a Noga is a debuting tool

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »
Same company
John Stevenson

Offline sparky961

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 11:54:28 PM »
I have a pretty small version that's Starrett branded.  It's great to get into small spots, but still has enough reach to get most places you need it.

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-660-Indicator-Holder-Triple-Jointed/dp/B002BWRPPI

I didn't get it from Amazon, and mine has a plastic knob instead of knurled metal in the picture.  I use it a lot and it is a very good design.  I've often wondered if it's made by Noga, or who patented the original design.  Maybe there's no patent or it's just a Chinese knock off....

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 05:51:19 PM »
I use the middle size Noga as a camera mount
It is a very solid reliable arm
As far as i am concerned simply the best available
John

Offline 2nd Opinion

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »
I have owned a small and medium sized one for years. I love them. Very rigid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 05:42:59 PM »
I use the middle size Noga as a camera mount
It is a very solid reliable arm
As far as i am concerned simply the best available
John

Same John, but I have a rather dubious looking camera attachment I've knocked up!! How do you hold the camera itself?

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 06:44:28 PM »
Manfroto clamp & quick release plate
I have even used this set up clamped to a traction engine on the road

John

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »
John,

Nice alternative use for your arm, i can understand why you use it for filming....

I used mine yesterday to center my work in a collet block on my new Mini Mill it took me about 1 minuet to put in a collet and about 1-1/2 minuets to zero my center over the work.

I am making a mag stand for it this week i will show pictures over the weekend..

Anthony.