The Shop > CNC

Modular CNC controller with DDCSV1.1 panel

<< < (3/3)

JayMcClellan:

--- Quote from: DICKEYBIRD on July 20, 2017, 06:51:42 PM ---Hi Jay, thanks so much for your very clearly posted information; here on the forum and on your website.  You do really clean work and show it so well online. Man, I really like those crimp ferrules!  So much so I just ordered the same kit from Amazon.

--- End quote ---
Thanks, glad you found it useful. This was the first project where I used crimp ferrules and now I wonder how I lived so many years without them.

--- Quote from: DICKEYBIRD on July 20, 2017, 06:51:42 PM ---I noticed you put a 22000 mf cap on your stepper motor power supply.  Is that just a "belt & suspenders" safety device added to your switching power supply?

--- End quote ---
The stepper drivers can draw fairly hefty current spikes as they rapidly switch on and off, and the capacitor helps smooth out the resulting ripples in the supply voltage. It's probably not necessary since I used a separate supply for the controller, and would be more important if the same supply were used for electronics that are sensitive to supply ripples. Power supplies have an internal filtering capacitor that does the same thing, but this supply was probably not designed to handle rapidly switching loads like this so adding an additional filter capacitor in parallel only helps.

JayMcClellan:
I just published a new video that covers many details of wiring and configuring this CNC controller:

hdo27:
Nicely done! Thanks a lot ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version