Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

T Nuts

(1/9) > >>

Darren:
Seeing all the superb projects on the go around here of late I'm almost embarrassed to post this  :ddb:

I'm in need of some T nuts for my mill, I didn't get very far tonight cos I've been doing other more taxing things. So I fancied winding down in the workshop doing something simple......well, that's my excuse.

Nothing much to show, I took a rough bar of unknown steel that Ralph kindly donated and ran the fly cutter over it a few times.
Nothing fancy, but the practice was good.
I started with small cuts and took it easy, as you can see I took a fair bit off the width. 0.05mm with each pass got tedious, even with power feed.
I ended up taking 0.5mm per pass at full wiper setting  :)

It seemed pretty fast going to me, but the machine didn't complain at all even if it was a bit noisy.

Made a right mess of the workshop though this fly cutting, must make some sort of screen up.

bogstandard:
Darren,

While you are feeling like doing some, make up a few extras (say 4 or 5) of each size of t-nut you will use in your shop (mill table, topslide, toolpost, RT, faceplate etc), make a few different lengths as well, but don't drill and tap them.

Then if you need to quickly mount up something in the future, it is just a matter of drilling and tapping a blank to get the job fixed down. Sometimes you will find that you need to make the holes off centre, so blanks really come in handy at a time like that.

John

sbwhart:
Darren as John said T nuts are something you can't have enough of,

Don't forget to burr the back of the thread over so the bolt won't pass through or you could damage your T slots in your mill  :bang:

:beer:
Stew

Stilldrillin:
Well done Darren!

T nuts..... Hmmmmm......  ::)

I`ve just received 4 tiny ones for me new r/ table.  :thumbup:

At £1 each, I couldn`t stir meself to go into a cold workshop to make some...... Sorry! (Blush)....

David D

bogstandard:
David,

That is what I normally do, buy them in. But sometimes the size you want are just not available and you have to resign yourself, as Darren has done, to make a few yourself.

Over the years, t-nuts seem to have been attracted to me, and I can usually just pick one out of a rummage box, but sometimes you have to go ahead and DIY.

Some people just make lengths of t-nut stock, and cut a bit off as and when required. In fact many years ago, you could buy it like that, but I haven't seen any in a long time.

Just get out in that cold shop and knock up a few thousand t-nuts, that'll soon warm you up.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version