The Shop > Tools

Edgwick Lathe

<< < (2/13) > >>

mattinker:

--- Quote from: mat9900 on February 16, 2017, 07:29:20 PM ---I thought the link worked but you have to scroll down a bit-apologies if I'm wrong. I will try and get some pics up tomorrow, but great to hear there are other edgwick owners on here! Thanks, Matt

--- End quote ---
I went back and scrolled dow, sure enough, there it was! Photo copied!

Regards, Matthew

John Stevenson:
Used to have one 2 or 3 lathes ago but it was very badly worn and probably gone for scrap now. Adv had a few of the bits off it, chucks, steadies etc.

Made a couple of cross slide nuts for an Edgwick ? a while ago ?

Pressed an insert into the original nut [ too idle to make a new one ] and supplied a spare insert as well.

AdeV:
At this rate, we'll have to set up an Edgwick Owner's club!  :)

I bought mine a few years back (paid a bit more than you did too, but still cheap for such a large and capable lathe). I like the fact it'll do a wide range of both metric and imperial threads from the gearbox, no change gears to mess around with, and it's got a decent spindle bore. You eventually get used to the fact it'll only do 670rpm flat out...

I made a QCTP for mine fairly early into my ownership, I couldn't get on with the oem 4-way tool post.

I might be able to sort you out a replacement tailstock clamp, if yours is missing bits... I have a whole spare tailstock. Check for wear in the tailstock nut - I have about a full turn of backlash in mine, and it's only a matter of time before it tears the threads out.... they've worn very thin. Still.... it hasn't let me down yet!

Looking forward to the restoration thread :D I'd particularly like to see pictures if you have a go at the brake/clutch.... my brake doesn't work, which makes threading to shoulders an "interesting" challenge...

mat9900:
Hi AdeV, great to hear from another owner. When I get to that tailstock il give you a shout! Yes it does look a capable lathe- I have a Portass dreadnought which has taught me lots, but is too small for a lot of the work I wish to do, hence iv gone for the Edgwick.
Having threaded numerous times with the Portass changewheels I am definitely keen on the Edgwick screwcutting gearbox!
You say your top spindle speed is 670? Im pretty sure mine is 1000rpm but will have a better look when im next with it, although some of the numbers on the speed selectors are worn and hard to read. It definitely has a 5hp 1440rpm motor on it if that makes any difference.

Also thanks to John Stevenson for that info regarding cross slide nuts- again whn I get that far I will probably give you a shout- I can see joining this forum was one of my better ideas!

mattinker:
Your a lucky Guy! You have the 1440rpm 5 horse motor which is why you have 1000RPM, that sounds like a great lathe. I've had my Edgwick about a year now, but I haven't got much done on it! I need to get back to getting it running properly, putting a reversing switch on it and a quick change tool post that I've found for it!

All the best, Matthew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version