Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Dividing head - Is this a silly idea?

<< < (2/2)

RussellT:
This should probably be a project log now, but I'll carry on anyway.

I made the plunger - I decided I wanted to make it index on top of teeth as well as between teeth - and I also decided I wanted to be able to latch it.  This is what I came up with.

Russell

RussellT:
I finished the dividing head and tried using it to make gears using the method described in the thread on Cutting Spur Gears http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11964.msg141922.html. :mmr:

The method wasn't quite as easy as the web page suggested because I wanted to make gears that would match my lathe change gears so I had something to compare them to.  I had to do the calculations for 14.5 degree pressure angle.  :smart:  The next snag was that to make the tool using a pointed lathe tool required a depth of cut of about 0.23".  The largest silver steel I have is 9/16.  :doh:  So I measured the lathe tool, ground a bit off the tip and measured again and adjusted the depth of cut accordingly.  I made a bit of a cock up here as I thought I had a collet that would take 9/16 but I didn't and the tool wasn't as concentric as I would have liked. :bang:

I made the gears from some bits of POM.  They seem to mesh with the lathe gears OK - a bit better than they do with each other.  I think perhaps they could have done with a little more depth of cut.

This was just a trial - a first attempt at making gears - and I'm pleased with the outcome. :D :)

Here are some pictures.

Russell

chipenter:
Hears a program for making single point cutters , but will give you depth of cut and blank dia , runs in dos window on C++  .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version