Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Stand for granite surface plate

<< < (2/2)

SwarfnStuff:
Hi Pekka,
I don't have room for such niceties but here is a link to Metal Tricks & Tips where he goes into the build of his "Rolls Royce" plate bench if you are interested.

Another of his videos I really like is hand shaping / graving a handle for a lathe, here.
&t=58s

John B

PekkaNF:
Thank you very much.

Spurry, that looks really nice. Wish I had that much space and big plate. I'm planning to have about 630*400 mm plate and it's going to live in spare bedroom.

I am not conviced that three bolt mount on exact postion on light load will bend much 630*400 mm plate that is 100 mm thick. Those big plates and big loads are very different though.

I'm planning to use three point support on bessel points and put four points on extreme corners just to prevent the plate from tiltting.

I put some "sleeppers" under the tool cart and filled the drawers with measuremet istruments. The original castors and rubber mats stink big time. No way I will put antything that toxsic stench inside. But the tool box is perfect size, many drawers and trawers are veny nice size. Some cheap ones have very shallow drawers to limit weight you put there and then one or two way too big to cut the cost down.

I'm thinkking of putting a wood top on this tool chest and putting there one cast iron 400*400 mm surface plate and leave some space there.

Pekka

Andrew Wildman:
If you are not wanting to get your plate level, just ensure it stays flat then you could just fix (with glue?) three coins to the top surface of your cabinet would work at the standard spacings for minimum deflection of a plate (google it!).  The Plate can just sit on these and the height is small enough to prevent tipping.

PekkaNF:
Got sidetracked with the tool chest, filled it with metrology stuff (except the ones that will be in garage).

Could not find near correct size table top material, bought some wiremesh plywood and cut it to size. I'm using it only as another table top.

Therefore I haven't started yet with the actual surface plate table. Bit stuc with three point adjustment. Fine thread would be very familiar, but I'm also considering 1:50 taper pin for fine adjustment.

Pekka

Joules:
My small granite surface is on 3 felt pads used for furniture.  It doesn't seem to matter the pads are soft as they compress under the weight of the surface and still provide 3 points raised from the surface below and will only tip a few mm if you get too much weight on the edge.  I guess cork pads would work just as well.

Another option would be to hot glue ball bearings in place and shim them if you need level.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version