Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

MT2 die holder....attempt

<< < (3/3)

smthrll:
I appreciate all the pointers.  When I set the tailstock over, I took a couple test cuts and then tried the procedure I saw on the college machinist Youtube channel.
-painted the taper with dye
-scribed a line every .5"
-measured the diameter at each line, and found it was uniformly increasing by .025"

If somebody had been watching, I would've struggled to keep the shock off my face and replace it with a look that said "ya, I meant to do that".

I'm starting to gain an appreciation for the possibilities of accuracy.  So, for next time:  Trial cut for finishing, heat, and recentering the headstock.  3 things to nail down!!!    Oh, and extend the quill so I can cut shaft in a complete pass...

smthrll:
I just wanted to give an update on my project.  It's taken me a bit of time but I managed another MT2 holder.  Pete was correct when he told me that I'd never hit the taper angle first try again - I promptly ruined my second attempt at the holder, thru a process of over and under correcting.  However, the 3rd attempt went reasonably well.   I tried the recommendation of trial cuts, and managed to nail down the final diameter of the taper and the 1/2" shaft portion by taking a final .010" cut, and the finish came out pretty decent.  I watched the heat buildup, and let things cool as I approached my final diameters.  Of course, stupid mistakes prevailed - I was cleaning up the 1" diameter that separates the shaft and taper, that's when I discovered that I cannot multi-task.  I left a plunging tool bit on the other side of my 4/way tool post, which bit into the taper when I wasn't looking.  You'll note the mess where my extra tool bit in.    From now on, only 1 tool bit loaded at a time (and a QCTP on the Christmas list)!!

The knurled cylinder turned out ok as well.  I did some reading and originally thought I had a 21 pitch knurl.  I counted the knurls and found 51 teeth on a .75" wheel.  This works out to 21.656 teeth/Inch circumference  OR .046199"/tooth.  I originally based my calculations on 21, thinking I could just drop the decimals, but found my lines overlapping.  When I took into account the extra 0.656, things seemed to work out right.  If my notes are right, I ended up with 73 lines on 1.072" diameter. 

Drilling:  I drilled out 4" of cylinder to 1/2".  I used several drill bits (every bit in my kit) between 3/8 and 1/2", but the bore is not smooth,  There are still rough marks.  I'm wondering if a reamer is the better option?  Each bit passed through easily enough, and thought I was taking small steps, but the bore is still kind of rough.  It fits nicely on the 1/2" shaft though. 

Still learning lots every time I touch my lathe.  I also learned what to do when the MT2 drill chuck gets stuck in the tailstock, and how to lengthen it with a small bolt tapped into the end, so that it will eject without problems. 

Thanks again for the tips and advice.   Onto making the actual piece that will hold the dies now.

Rollie

ieezitin:
Rollie

Glad your still into experimenting its the only way to learn.

Drills don't create smooth holes neither do they drill to size also they have a tendency to wonder, Getting a better finish plus a more accurate diameter a reamer will do the job, remember though the reamer has to follow the hole before it, reamers are not perfect.

Dead nuts holes sized and located are bored and layout plays a major factor, but that's not an everyday thing but keep it in mind when your planning out your work.

if its just holes you want and need drills do the work and with correct layout methods and tools will get you within .003.

I use spot drills for centering my work I don't like center drill because the tips break, I use a prick punch to center pop my layout as it eliminates somewhat the drill wondering in fact its a three facet punch. I have a trash set of drills which obviously i use for trash work I have a pristine drill set i use on my more important work, I have full sets from letter number and fractional very handy to have. I use slot end mills a lot for drilling to being held in a collet.

Drilling / boring holes, locating them, getting finishes correct is a vast subject which I would suggest you dive into the Internet, you-tube is a formidable resource as you are aware and when you need down to earth live answers asked them on here.

All the best

Anthony.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version