Author Topic: Good tool museum in France  (Read 6469 times)

Offline micktoon

Good tool museum in France
« on: January 17, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »
  Just came across this place on the net in Troyes, France. Looks to have fantastic displays of old hand tools from all trades. The website is not that good but there has been lots of photos on instagram too http://mopo3.com/en/fullscreen/photos/
  I know Rob Wilson has been to various museums in France but I cant remember this one getting mentioned ? It looks well worth a visit if you are in the area anyway  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick.

Offline mattinker

Re: Good tool museum in France
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:37 PM »
Mick,

What sort of museums were you thinking about. I've never heard of that particular museum. I looked it up on the web, pretty difficult site, it's equally difficult in French! I know quite a lot of Parisian museums, mostly about History, painting and sculpture.

Regards, Matthew

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 02:36:09 AM »
Besancon- sorry about the lack of C Cedille, seems an ideal place. Has a watch museum as well as  La Resistance stuff.

My son DID his French year in Uni there. I tried nearby Ornans in the Doubs being the home of Vernier  but couldn't find any thing relating. Then,  it was occupied by the Spanish and Vernier worked for them. 

I spent a time in Tours- well, Luynes to be precise. Bloke had several Panhards and a DeLaHaye. We both had appartements in the Savoie.

'Cathar country' in my opinion is the more interesting but was in the Dordogne last year for a few days.

Regard

Norman

Offline smiffy

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 04:14:28 AM »
For anyone visiting the south west of France http://www.france-voyage.com/tourism/museum-bell-art-1723.htm
The bell museum also has a large display of turret clocks and bell turning and tuning lathes

http://www.forges-de-pyrene.com/the-village/?lang=en is more of a museum of country life but has a working trip hammer and forge
Both are well worth a visit       Mike

Offline micktoon

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 04:21:09 AM »
Mick,

What sort of museums were you thinking about. I've never heard of that particular museum. I looked it up on the web, pretty difficult site, it's equally difficult in French! I know quite a lot of Parisian museums, mostly about History, painting and sculpture.

Regards, Matthew

Hi Matthew,  I was not planning on going myself, I have seen fantastic photos of their tool displays on Instagram and thought others on the forum may have been interested in visiting if passing. I was dissapointed in the website to be honest. There are logos at the top of the page for instagram and Facebook,  I did not try clicking them but they should lead to the better photos I think?
  I think it might have been Paris where Rob visited a good museum and posted photos a while back.
  Cheers Mick

Offline mattinker

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 07:09:51 AM »
For anyone visiting the south west of France http://www.france-voyage.com/tourism/museum-bell-art-1723.htm
The bell museum also has a large display of turret clocks and bell turning and tuning lathes

http://www.forges-de-pyrene.com/the-village/?lang=en is more of a museum of country life but has a working trip hammer and forge
Both are well worth a visit       Mike

That looks interesting! maybe I'll remember next time I'm down that way! Road trip planned for 2023 ( a friend and I have done a motorcycle road trip from Paris to the SW of France every eleven years since 1990 every eleven years, it was going to be every ten, but my mate had to work at the time of the second trip so we pushed it back a year!)

Regards, Matthew

Offline mattinker

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 07:12:27 AM »
Mick,

Regards, Matthew

Hi Matthew,  I was not planning on going myself, I have seen fantastic photos of their tool displays on Instagram and thought others on the forum may have been interested in visiting if passing. I was dissapointed in the website to be honest. There are logos at the top of the page for instagram and Facebook,  I did not try clicking them but they should lead to the better photos I think?
  I think it might have been Paris where Rob visited a good museum and posted photos a while back.
  Cheers Mick

I must have missed that post, can't remember it!

Regards, Matthew