The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Expensive Speciality Batteries - Watchman Oil Monitor

<< < (2/2)

Biggles:
Just words of warning; make sure the amperage is the same. Some instruments require lower amperage than the high power Duracell battery. Otherwise you could blow a diode on the circuit board.  :zap:

awemawson:
Biggles, only if ohms law has been revoked - at a given voltage it will draw what it wants to draw  :lol:

Howsitwork - in a word no  :bang: I've withdrawn the entire gizmo from the tank and got it in the workshop adjacent to the receiver. It works by firing a sound burst down a tube vertically immersed in the oil. It listens for the echo off the surface of the oil and calculates the oil level. Googling it, it has a 'calibration cycle' to go through when it's been powered off for more than two minutes. It fires a few sound bursts for 25 seconds then averages the delay to receiving the echo. After 25 seconds it's supposed to emit three bleeps then it's calibrated. Setting it off you can hear the sound bursts being emitted, but they carry on for several minutes then cease. I assume that the sound receiver has failed and it's not hearing the echos - replacement on  order !

Biggles:
Yes it will only draw what it needs when working correctly but if there is a circuit fault it could draw more than the circuit will handle. In that case any diodes will burn.

Will_D:
I know this is slightly OT but my oil tank is monitored by a Conrad electronic oil meter in the utility room.

Its a simple digital display the monitors the Burner on time (via a 220 v connection).

It has a humongous number of settings (on the dip switches) for consumption per minute (data should be on the burner in LPM).
You can read litres/kgs or burn time

Once calibrated its about 1% accurate!

How do I know its accurate?

When it says you've used 860 liters the oil man can just about drop in 850!

nrml:
I have the same watchman monitor on my LPG bulk storage tank. The service engineer who fitted it told me that the copper cap on the end of the tube comes off with a little persuasion with two pairs of grips. He advised me to just swap the AA cells out rather than buy  replacement tubes which the company he works for happens to sell to their customers :thumbup:.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version