Home Base > Introductions

Hello

<< < (2/4) > >>

tom osselton:
Another Albertan I'm not the only one!
Welcome from Calgary!

smthrll:
Thanks for the kind words guys.  I did get out into the shop yesterday - it was a balmy -3 degrees here in Edmonton. 

I'm a little embarrassed to say that the attached picture represents about 8 hours of work.   The paperweight now has a bearing pressed into it.  I'd cut the hole .006" undersized and it was a pretty tight fit.  If I'd been thinking, I would have drilled a hole for a shaft, so that it could mate up with a 2nd potentially useless paperweight.  I was just a bit too excited that I could press the bearing in, and now it's in tight to a flat bottom hole.  Oh well, I'll put "thinking ahead" on the "to-learn" list.

Rollie

awemawson:
Pack the hole with grease, then put a sliding fit shaft in the i/d of the bearing, and tap the end of the shaft briskly with a hammer. As if by magic the bearing will rise out of the hole.

Joules:
Hi Rollie, just try whatever you fancy whilst learning, time is never wasted as you make progress by doing.  Nice choice of lathe, I looked at one as a second lathe.   Oh yeah, that will be your next problem, the hoarding of tooling and more machines.  :dremel:

howsitwork?:
No Joules , not hoarding, careful and NECESSARY acquiring of ESSENTIAL equipment to ENABLE REPAIRS of things the family have damaged ( SWMBO occasionally questions this but a few strategically pointed out repair jobs ensure future peace! ) :med:

Best tip - given to me by recently deceased uncle- always, on being complimented on a job being nicely done (to SWMBO satisfaction), pick up the most expensive piece of tooling you have near to hand and loudly exclaim " I couldn't have done it without this ...... tool, I don't need it that often but it was ESSENTIAL to do this and I'm glad you like it my dear". :D :D

Worked like a dream for him with all sorts and I've tried it - it works  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Welcome to the fascinating world of mad modder. Ian

By the way Andrew left out the fact the now greasy bearing will majestically then disappear under the nearest immovable object having left a trail of grease in it's wake ( just don't ask  :Doh:ok ?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version