The Shop > Tools

ER 40 Collet Set

<< < (2/5) > >>

Jo:
I have a set of ER collets in a box somewhere or other :scratch: the collets seem ok if you accept that it is a double taper collet that cannot hold short ends  :coffee:

Personally I stick to 5C collets - The Chinese 5C collets are good. The Chinese 5C chucks more often than not need their registers machining properly to get them to run true then they too are ok. DA collets are also good but you have to buy them from USA for $3 each and get stung on the import duty  :bang:

Jo

DICKEYBIRD:

--- Quote from: Jo on December 18, 2016, 11:52:09 AM ---...it is a double taper collet that cannot hold short ends
--- End quote ---
I do it all the time; just this morning gripped an aluminum off-cut by a mere 1/8".  All you have to do is plop another short piece of the same diameter in the back end of the collet & grip away!:)  I have a few hat shaped pieces of the most commonly used sizes all ready to go. :beer:

Jo:

--- Quote from: DICKEYBIRD on December 18, 2016, 01:51:45 PM ---I do it all the time; just this morning gripped an aluminum off-cut by a mere 1/8". 
--- End quote ---

1/8" is the best part of a mile... a 5C will happily hold on 0.8mm (1/32" in imperious measures)  :thumbup:

Jo

PekkaNF:
On ebay bog standard chinese can be what ever. Usually all promises of accuracy are purely fictous along materials, hardness. etc. Some are really appaling low in quality.

As said on chinece the ones sold by CTC and ARC are much better in general.

If you need real tools and not just tool shaped objects I can recommend LAIP, Spanish comppany and stuff I have bought there has been made in europe. Least 6 years ago it was.
https://www.laip.es/
There was a tool shop in this village and they ordered the stuff from the catalog and I got allways the stuff in a week or two, I did need to pay catalog prices, but there were no surcharges or such. Bough Ortlieb collets and such. Not really that much more than chinese/indians if you find a place where they sell these.

Then there is price....normal good quality ER40 collets cost about 16 EUR/pcs and you get brand name, brand precison. Ultra accurate (relative in ER collets I don't see much use in our world) REGO-FIX 1140.23001 DIN 6499-B are about 40 EUR/Pcs.

Would German made standard collets be good enough? One option would be Fahrion.
 Engineering Supplies.co.uk, but ask Simon first. Looks like he is limited to ER32
http://www.engineeringsupplies.co.uk/tool-holding-collets-c-171.html?menu=1

ER32 brand name collets would be about 13 GBP a piece:
ER32 Collets (6 micron) Fahrion
http://www.engineeringsupplies.co.uk/14mm-15mm-er32-collets-micron-fahrion-p-6707.html

I'm geting few collets for "testing" there. I'm trusting more on rigidy than utmost accuracy. How good the spindle can be?

R8 is a pretty small...do you really need ER40? Nut tightening is to about 170 Nm.

my few eurocents...

Pekka

ieezitin:
John

in a way you get what you pay for, i have the Chinese collets and some are not bad and work fine but i wont lie its a crap shoot i have a couple of fluffy ones too....

I said bollocks to it about 18 months ago and made a ER40 collet chuck with a slack register that way if i need dead nuts precision i smudge it with a soft drift I don't need to do it often you know yourself it don't take long..

Hope this helps

Anthony.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version