The Shop > CNC

Stopping a PC accessing the Internet ?

<< < (2/7) > >>

PK:
Just set the default gateway to something that isn't a gateway and make sure the routing and remote access service is disabled.

You may or may not want to disable DNS using the same approach, but this could cause some latency as requests time out..

stvy:
For the pc you don't want on the internet simply omit the gateway field of the network settings.

The IP address and the subnet mask define the loca network and this if you use the same network settings for all your pc's means they will all talk locally across that network. A gateway is only needed to get off your local network.

You may however find that some of your windows services and programs do not like being unable to connect to internet resources. I have seen windows update amongst others use almost 100% of a CPU core alone when the machine has no access to the internet. Effectively it consumes a whole CPU core whilst it works out to give up and unfrotuantely it tries again soon after. A multi core CPU gets around this.

Steve

Pete.:
Could you avoid that by assigning 127.0.0.1 as the gateway or will it be too clever?

awemawson:
mysteriously, munging the gateway address still allowed the pc to connect to the interweb - I even deleted it with the same result.

admittedly I didn't do any 'release all' 'renew all' type commands so perhaps the gateway address persists until the lease expire  :scratch:

David Jupp:
To force changes to Ethernet adaptor settings to take effect, I usually disable the adaptor then re-enable.  There may be more subtle methods, but this is easy to remember.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version