The Shop > Software Tools

Fusion 360

<< < (3/3)

efrench:
2d drawings and sketches are different beasts in Fusion 360.  2d drawings allow you to present the work as a technical drawing, but all you can do with it is print, which is done by exporting it as a .pdf file.  Sketches can be exported as .dxf, but only as one layer.  If you have multiple sketches, then each one needs to be exported.  You also lose all of the dimension labels in the dxf.  To export a sketch as a .dxf, just right click on the sketch in the Browser and select the Export as dxf menu item.

I still use my 2d cad program quite a bit as I've been using it for 20 odd years, so I do quite a bit of importing and exporting dxfs.  I don't do 2d drawings because I either generate gCode for my CNC router or a .stl file for the 3d printer.  Here's a GT2-5mm 180 tooth pulley that's ready to be printed:

JohnC:
That's very useful information, 'efrench', thanks for posting.
John

Will_D:
My interest in Fusion 360 was not so much that it was a free CAD program but that it also supported CAM.

My definitions are:

CAD: Ideas to .dxf files

CAM: .dxf files to g-code

So what does Fusion 360 do? Can it generate g-code?

Do I still need CUR-2D or CUT-3D (which I can afford?

woodguy:
Yes is offers CAM and 5 axis at that. Some of the terminology used in F360 differs from what is used elsewhere, but it doesn't take that long to get used to it and it has excellent toolpath options.
I've been experimenting with the CAM using imported models and thinking about investing the time to learn the CAD portion of the program. It is sufficiently different from what I have been using that there would need to be a substantial investment of time to become proficient.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version