<< < (73/74) > >>

SwarfnStuff:
Hi Andrew,
       This thread continues to intrigue.

Something about a watched kettle comes to mind regarding your seed.  :Doh:

All the best from Downunder,

John B

awemawson:
Well John, the watched kettle is beginning to simmer ! If I look extremely closely this morning there is just the odd wisp of something sprouting - but heck this is only day five.

Will_D:

--- Quote from: awemawson on August 20, 2018, 09:36:33 AM ---. . . mind you I keep looking every morning and no green shoots yet (it's only four days since sown !!)

--- End quote ---
Been doing a lot of re-seeding of the club pitches. Taking at least 8 days from sowing to first shoots.

I also sow up a small tray as a test piece that the birds cant get at so I know when I should see growth on the pitch. Also depends a lot on rainfall.

Cant believe first game of season is on Saturday!

awemawson:
Grass now well and established having had two cuts with the ride - on mower.

The 100 watt LED Flood Light on the gable end of the tractor shed over the roller shutter door has given problems ever since installation back in August 2017. It has a PIR built in to a flat glass fronted unit. So far five have failed and been replaced but I'm getting fed up having to keep climbing the long ladder to change them. One failed permanently 'on' but the others just failed, no life, nothing.

TLC who supplied the original light have been very good, bringing out a replacement usually the day I report the fault, but they are getting no feed back from the maker as to what the failure mode is. I have a further three identical units without the PIR built in, in the roof of the tractor shed, and, touch wood, all are working just fine.

Now our voltage now a days is pretty well in the middle of the specification at 235 and doesn't vary much, my only thought was that perhaps the PIR inside the unit is susceptible to voltage spikes. Now this lighting circuit is on quite a different feed from the consumer unit than the big loads of motors and welders in the workshop, but never the less just maybe something is getting though. A kind contact on the UK DIY newsgroup sent me a pair of surge arrestors removed from some equipment that he has been working on, so today I mounted one in a box and wired it up.

. . .time only will tell if it makes any difference  :med:

PekkaNF:
You most likely know that he MOV:s has tendency to take a certain amount of hit and then die to short circuit, therefore they should have some sort of fuse attached at front or it thermal fuse tied up with MOV. Most of the commercial units have been tested and build accordingly. Those burn hot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varistor

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version