The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Titivating A CNC Plasma Table

<< < (38/39) > >>

RodW:
Andrew, Now you've used it for 12 months, how have you found your downdraft fan? Thats next on the agenda for my super slow plasma build and I'm still struggling between using one like yours or a much more expensive centrifugal fan.

awemawson:
Rod, it makes an enormous difference . Before I had it, the room filled up with nasty fumes, now I eject them into some waste ground

The fan is remarkably powerful and shifts a lot of air, a claimed 3,900 Cu M per hour  :bugeye:

RodW:
Andrew, thanks. I know about the mess. One reason why I slowed down.  It was bearable cutting 2mm but its nasty with 8mm! I can get a similar fan locally with throughput of 3600 M3/hr.

The centrifugals keep the motor out of the mess but use a lot more power so its hard to get the same flow on single phase power.
I have thought of zoning the table because I've got a few 300 mm air rams someone gave me that need a job to do!

RodW:

--- Quote from: awemawson on March 13, 2018, 06:49:57 PM ---Rod, it makes an enormous difference . Before I had it, the room filled up with nasty fumes, now I eject them into some waste ground

The fan is remarkably powerful and shifts a lot of air, a claimed 3,900 Cu M per hour  :bugeye:

--- End quote ---

Well you motivated me and I joined the club. Hare and Forbes had a 3 day sale so I grabbed one today while it was cheap. They advertised it as 60 m3/min but when I got it home, the instructions said it was 65 m3/min which is 3900 m3/min. So now I need to get my finger out and design the downdraft hopper!

awemawson:
If I was doing mine again, the hopper would slope on three sides and have the fourth side vertical, allowing the drop catcher door to be near to the edge of the machine and hence far more accessible.

Mine is OK but clearing it out is a kneel on the floor job (which is getting increasingly difficult!) - had it been to one side it would be far easier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version