Author Topic: quick bandsaw tip  (Read 9187 times)

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
quick bandsaw tip
« on: November 04, 2016, 12:04:26 PM »
Hi
This is a little quickie, I,like many others, own a small import horizontal bandsaw.
when cutting a lot of pieces to the same length the backstop is used.
on mine and others I imagine, the backstop consists of a 10mm dia rod fixed to the back of the vice with a cast metal piece that slides along it.

the problem starts when the cut is nearly through, the cut piece can twist and jam between the stop and the blade, possibly breaking the blade.
I have seen a tip whereby you place a block of metal between the stop and the end of whatever you're cutting so there is a gap.

my idea is, machine a collar to slide on the rod between the stop and the vice with a setscrew to lock it in place, then, place the work in the vice set at the correct distance to cut, bring the stop up to the end of the work, then move the collar up to touch the inside of the stop and lock it.

then you can move the stop away from the work, cut the piece, put the stop back to the collar, move the work up to the stop, move the stop and cut.
rinse and repeat.

bit of a long winded explanation I know but takes seconds to set up.

I would put a pic up but Photowreckit has gone down.

I hope this is helpful to somebody.

cheers
Roy

I used to be confused, now I just don't know.

Offline Beone

Re: quick bandsaw tip
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 01:21:07 PM »
How about have a small piece of scrap that you place between the stock and collar, lock vice,r remove scrap, cut, then move the stock out to the scrap against the stop, remove scrap, cut, etc?

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 01:28:46 PM »
Hi
that sounds like you are over complicating things. the collar is only 14 or 15mm dia.
I put the collar on as a positive location for the stop and to get rid of odd bits that get dropped, lost or whatever.

Roy.
I used to be confused, now I just don't know.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 02:12:36 PM »
My approach (dating to the 1980's) was to mill the touching end of the casting square to the rod and press in a round end tip of (say) ø.250 round bar the projects (about) .375 from the "machined end."  This gives me a point contact that easily clears the cut piece allowing it to drop.  [I then built a "ramp" that allows the "cut piece" to slide into a "box" for collection.]

Offline Steamer5

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 02:53:52 AM »
Hi Roy,
 Here's how I solved the same issue. It's not my idea as it was posted up by one of the guys on the bandsaw group just my version. It's part of an update to my saw. As you can see I've extended the fix jaw out past the blade, stops the cut off bit from going anywhere. The adjustable end stop pivots on the Rod & the screw thread knob is "calibrated" to 10 divisions on A 6 x 1 mm thread.

Cheers Kerrin
Cheers

Kerrin

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 08:38:54 AM »
Thats a nice mod.

while we are on the topic of band saw tips.... i own the Illustrious same bandsaw how do you get it to cut an acceptable repeatable 90 deg cut?

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 09:55:54 AM »
  If I am cutting multiple pieces and use a stop I simply have a 1 inch piece of material I put between the stock being cut and the stop and simply remove the 1 inch piece now nothing is against the stock being cut.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 11:38:33 AM »
Doc

Thanks for the reply... not sure what you mean.. how does that get me a square cut every-time?

Thanks

Anthony..

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 06:10:46 PM »
The back jaw should give you a square cut. Im just saying to avoid pinching when part is being cut by the stop I never have it up against the stop. I use a spacer block and remove it before sawing.

Offline Steamer5

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »
Hi Anthony,
 Thanks for the compliment, I've attached a picture from the other side showing how it's attached. By doing this mod you can have your stop against the work, without a spacer, as the piece cut off doesn't move.
As to cutting at 90 degrees you need to carefully set the fixed jaw at 90 degrees to the blade, don't relie on the scale that came with the saw!  Use say a 6" set square clamped to the blade, set it above the teeth, then carefully move the fix jaw until you are happy, tighten down, check all is still ok then drill thru the jaw & the table with say a 6mm or 1/4" bit & make or find a pin to suit that is a slip fit that won't fall thru. After that it's easy to set it at 90 degrees!

I've also made a quick fit table that's 300mm square, takes less than 30 seconds, to fit & remove. I think it's a vast improvement on the pressed steel version!

Cheers Kerrin
Cheers

Kerrin

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 07:52:50 AM »
Doc..

got ya now its clear...thanks

I like the idea of not using the clamping jaw but just a small piece to apply point pressure

I have my back jaw square that's not my problem it's the cut, over 3'' it cuts about 3/16 shallow, i have tried in the past to compensate for this by inserting a wedge under the piece to be cut but it still happens, i have had this problem for so long i just live with it now but its really annoying when you need to face off the cut on a large piece and its intermittent.

Anthony.