Author Topic: 3D Mouse.  (Read 10096 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
3D Mouse.
« on: October 31, 2016, 07:41:37 PM »
Decided I need to be dragged screaming into the 20 century so going to have a look at Fusion 360 as a 3D CAD program.

Asking one question only, so please note and read.

Any advise on a decent mouse to use ? USB preferably as the keyboard is wireless.

Currently using a Logitech track ball which is nice as I'm used to it but it doesn't scroll or rotate.

Answers from Fusion 360 users will obviously be of more use to me.

Thanks.
John Stevenson

Offline Imagineering

Re: 3D Mouse.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 03:14:23 AM »
I have been using this one for around five Years now ...

http://www.3dconnexion.eu/products/spacemouse/spacenavigator.html

My learning curve was a bit slow until someone suggested to me to ignore the 3D Mouse and just imagine that I have my Hand grasping the on-screen Object. I am not a Fusion 360 user, but have been using it with Autodesk Inventor 2011 & 2016. I have had minor use of it with Revit as well.
It performs so well, and has become such an extension of my left Hand, to the extent that I find I instinctively grab for it when using Programs that should, (but don't), utilise it.

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 04:38:58 AM »
Re the Logitech trackball - the models do vary, one I used had a button to select 'scroll' (then use ball to scroll).  I don't recall now if that was a default function, or if I programmed it using the Logitech control panel.

In CAD, Pan & Rotate/Orbit are usually selectable from menu/toolbar - so if you have spare buttons available it should be possible to configure these to allow you to quickly change function without taking hand off the trackball.

Any reasonable quality mouse with scroll wheel will get you going - typically using combinations of the 3 buttons you can momentarily change 'mode' of the mouse to either pan or rotate.

3Dconnexion (now Logitech I think) devices are a useful extra for CAD, they don't take the place of a mouse.  I have one, but most of the time I just use the ordinary mouse unless manipulating the CAD model is very awkward.

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:26:17 PM »
This is the one I use at work.http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemouse/spacepilot-pro.html

This is the one I use at home hen they upgraded they sold the old one in what they call a 5S sale. I bid and ended up with 4 of them.
http://spacemice.org/index.php?title=Spaceball_5000

I love iy with lots of different software.

I also have a what is called a 3d puck which works good and is a good 3d mouse for laptops.
They are a lot cheaper but work just fine.
http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemouse/spacenavigator.html

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 08:43:33 PM »
OK got loads of input and many say the Space Navigator is the bees knees but need clarification on a couple of items.

Watched John Saunders over at NYCNC and he reckons that a 3D mouse is better also in the blurb for the navigator and from what a couple of people have written [ this post is on 4 forums ]  the following:-

" Simply push, pull, twist or tilt the 3Dconnexion controller cap to intuitively pan, zoom and rotate, while your other hand simultaneously uses your existing mouse to select, create or edit. "

So you still need a normal mouse to select drop down menu's etc ??
John Stevenson

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:13:05 PM »
Not with the newest 3d connexion  you could do all with just it.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 06:58:43 PM »
HeySuss! Have ye seen the price of a SpaceMousePilot!

£300 big ones on Amazon!

You can buy a reasonable laptop for that price
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 07:18:52 PM »
Well asked on this forum plus a couple more and the consensus is you need a mouse and the space navigator and they are about £100 and I'm not prepared to spend this money on a chance.

I need a new mouse anyway as my existing Logitech Marble trackball isn't 3D, no scroll or pan so today I order a 3D mouse and I'll see how I get on with that.Fusion 360 has loads of shortcut keys and coming off a very old 2D Cad program I'm well versed with shortcut keys and can't see how you can use a mouse , Navigator and keyboard with two hands ?
John Stevenson

Offline Joules

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:31:28 PM »
Next time your this way John, Navigator and Space Pilot to see and try.  They are like Marmite, an acquired taste, they do save me hours in the design process being able to handle a 3D model like it was in my hand.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 07:44:35 PM »
Thanks Joules,

Nothing written in stone at this point other than I need a new mouse anyway. Don't mind paying for one if useful but bought shed loads of got to have gear in the fast that was never gottohave
John Stevenson

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 07:50:13 PM »
HeySuss! Have ye seen the price of a SpaceMousePilot!

£300 big ones on Amazon!

You can buy a reasonable laptop for that price
You can find lots of used on Ebay substantially less cash I have seen them as low as $35. I use one for a lot of different programs. I use it on Catia,NX10,Solid Works,and FeatureCam I also use on on Google Earth. Once you have used one you will never look back or be without one.

This is actually my favorite model. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3DConnexion-SpaceBall-5000-12-Button-USB-Trackball-3D-Mouse-/272434310027?hash=item3f6e59ab8b:g:ns4AAOSwzaJX696p

Offline Joules

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 07:52:29 PM »
You do need some serious 3D CAD-ing needs to justify one otherwise YES, it's an expensive play thing.  I was loaned the Space Pilot by a user who just couldn't get on with it.  I figured I would give it a month to learn and make my mind up.  A few months later I bought the Navigator for my second CAD system, can't work without them now.  I do however consider myself a HEAVY user of 3D CAD, the devices are very well built and do justify the price for professional use.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 07:56:39 PM »
Sorry Doc but that thing looks the most ungainly thing I have seen in a long while.

It's a bit like having sex standing up on a water bed -- don't ask. :D
John Stevenson

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 09:11:30 PM »
  It was a more comfortable model than the new ones in my opinion. I now use the new Enterprise at work  it has more features but not near as comfy and if you use one  8 to 10 hours you start to notice it. The old one has the ball control the new has the cap. All the buttons on them are totally programmable for any functions you want.