Gallery, Projects and General > Oooops!

Left Hanging in the Air !

<< < (2/4) > >>

S.D.L.:
Nice to see some heavy engineering still going on in U.K.

Steve

awemawson:
I echo Steve's comment - glad we still have some heavy engineering capabilities  :thumbup:

johnbaz:
Unfortunately Health and Safety will end up closing our place  :(

On the burning scetion, To cut the heads off at almost 10' diameter, A 3' HiLo Oxy-Propane cutter is used in conjuntion with Oxygen lances, To get the volume of Oxy to push this much molten metal away we operate at 250psi with no anti blowback devices to hinder the flow, H&S have now said this isn't a safe working practice and have pushed big heavy brass holders that are protected against a blowback down the line (Something that's never happened in the 40years we've been doing it this way), This will reduce the thickness we're able to cut and so reduce the casting size, This work will most likely be lost to India or other such places where there are no concerns about safety..

In my bay, I cut scrap bars that I remove from the sand, I came on one day and my own tackle had gone and was replaced by a set with TWO anti blowback devices, When I lit the cutter and adjusted the preheat flame for working, It wouldn't cut when I applied the hi pressure, The anti blowbacks had slowed the flow of gas to the point that the flame drew out and wouldn't do as intended (The hi pressure robbed the pre heat Oxygen!)..

When I complained, Nothing was done to address the problem so now the bars will just stack up unless someone uses and old setup which will now be deemed, Illegal!! One step forwards and three steps back, I fear we won't be staying open and viable for much longer!!  :bang:

By the way, Here is an album of pic's taken by a really nice fella (Photographer) that came to our company, Davi Chang, He took some fab photoe's for anyone that may be interested..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/erhudave/albums/72157612783012333

John  :(

Pete.:
Those are some great photos John.

Could you not bank-up the anti-blow-backs on a manifold to give you the required flow? It seems to me that it should be a viable solution.

mcostello:
Next size bigger hose? I would fight tooth and nail before giving up ANY jobs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version