Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

routing steel pannels

(1/4) > >>

Will_D:
i am about to need a housing for the CNC stuff to drive my Sieg SX2P mill.

I have the DDCSV1.1 controller, PSU, 3 x M542T stepper drivers, and various i/o connectors.

In order to make a nice neat job*  I need to rout the font panel for the controller, various vent holes etc etc.

My Sieg will go to 2500 rpm so what are my options when it comes to the router bit?

Note I us the term router as if this was wood then it would be routed!

An engraver bit just engraves!

An end mill is a milling cutter and maybe not a router cutter

So what should I use? Are there specific router cutters for the mill that will rout 1.2 mm steel?

*In th epast I have drilled holes and used a jig saw to link up the holes. Ok but a bit of a botch. It would be nice to spend as much time on this job as I have spent wonga!!

Will_D:
Bumping this!

109 views and 0 replies?

vintageandclassicrepairs:
Hi Will,
Maybe the "routing" description is putting people off???
Way back when I often made panels for multiple gauges and indicators and the like from thin sheet
The trick was to stick the metal sheet to some fine faced plywood before drilling and cutting

Do you have the Seig up and running in test form?
If yes I would try some test cuts with a slot drill ???

Laser cutting is an option  :palm:
John

awemawson:
Maybe 'profiling cutter' will get the results you want?

When I've done aluminium front panels in the cnc mill previously I mount them on a spoil board, and cut them out with a 6 mm end mill, or smaller if the detail dictates.

Years back I did make up a clamping frame to suspend panels an inch above the mill bed, allowing plunge cutting right through, but the vibration and drumming of a 19" x 1/8" standard panel was too much. Mounting to a spoil board prevents most of the drumming.

However a caveat - the point of full cut out of internal features is a high risk time in the life of the end mill as illustrated when I profiled the special spanner I needed to pull my 60 ton press apart. It broke away and took a decent carbide end mill with it  :bang:

DavidA:
*In th epast I have drilled holes and used a jig saw to link up the holes. Ok but a bit of a botch. It would be nice to spend as much time on this job as I have spent wonga!!..

I would have thought any carbide cutter would deal with 1.2 mm steel.

You could use the same method as you outline above, but leave plenty of waste on the cut  (say 2 mm) and then go around with the mill and clean it up. That way you won't need to use very small cutters,

Dave.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version