Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

Digital caliper mounted on lathe

<< < (2/6) > >>

Manxmodder:
Exactly like that  :thumbup: ....OZ

seadog:
I must remember to resize images in future  :doh:

awemawson:

--- Quote from: seadog on October 06, 2016, 02:28:35 PM ---I must remember to resize images in future  :doh:

--- End quote ---

... I never said a word .... :lol:

But 640 x 480 is so much more universally seeable  :thumbup:

seadog:
But I knew it was coming Andrew  :wack:

PekkaNF:
Thank you all.

Hardest part was to design the general shape that could be build out of 14*22 mm standard key stock (pretty free cutting material), would have display angled for easy viewing and could be easily taken out and put back. Should also clear tail stock.

It worked out pretty well.

Things to learn:
* Often stuff comes a little oversize and wobbly, this come out pretty tight, maybe few file stokes would help?
* I paid attention to ease of dismounting, therefore locking bolt must be come undone. Should not have been a smart ass and cram it that close to scale plastic cover - it's used to make bolt captive...works too well.
* I choose magnet to the other end (tapped hole for bolt would have come uncomfortably close lathe carriage lock). This would also break free if moved too far out. Success.
* The locking plate under the scale has a load bearing face on 45 degree angle - the other end has a 6 mm silver steel rod to take that load. Made it pretty tight fit. If it gets a little loose then it's perfect, now it is uncomfortably tight to turn sideways and to take off the slack, but locks up tight as a carriage stop. Amusing, but probably not the best solution here.
* Found out that the whole system has to very straight, there is very little play on the system, minor tilt would cause side load, measured it and got it right, but had to make one "special" thickness plastic washer that provided enough adjustment when squashed with a scale on the lathe carriage end. Found sweet spot easy and now it looks like very accurate.
* The lathe carriage end is a little overkill, but I was not sure if I could get away without bolt. I got better idea, I might try on MK II model if I ever need to build one.

--- Quote from: seadog on October 06, 2016, 01:10:52 PM ---Like this.

--- End quote ---

Did you had any trouble drilling trough the scale? Mine caliper from Lidl was hard and work hardening, needed a solid carbide drill to drill the hole.

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version