Author Topic: Ryder-Ericsson help  (Read 7707 times)

Offline fcheslop

Ryder-Ericsson help
« on: September 30, 2016, 03:57:06 PM »
Hi all, Im slowly remachining a set of castings for the 2inch bore Ericsson Stirling engine and have reached the stage of making the liner that is once I find a supplier for some tubing   :doh:
The question is The drawings I have show the diameter of the displacor as 1 3/4 dia and this just seems rather small to rattle around a 2inch bore and I seem to remember some mention of a mod at onetime
She is an ex Stilldrilling orphan :beer: that was pried from his fingers
thanks
History is scarcely capable of preserving the memory of anything except myths

Online smiffy

Re: Ryder-Ericsson help
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 04:36:52 PM »
When I built mine I made the displacer  piston and cylinder out of  car exhaust pipe, size is not too important but you need a reasonable clearance about 3 mm is fine . I filled the displacer piston with wire wool to help it work as a regenerator
For the power cylinder  I used a cast iron liner with the piston machined out of a brake caliper piston from a car.  Mike

Offline modelman1938

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 04:43:50 PM »
Hi
I have scratch built three Rider-Ericsson`s in different sizes working from the book S&S engines you can build, and I thought the displacer clearance was way to large. My engines range from 1-1/2 bore down to .60 bore  and have gone for .030 to .040 ins clearance, I  would think .050 ins would be about right for a 2 ins bore, just watch out for concentricity.
Hugh

Offline fcheslop

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »
Thanks Mike and Hugh  the info is greatly appreciated
Just need to find some tubing then I can make a start
cheers

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »
Heyup Marra!
 I see you are still trying to blame me, for your misfortunes.......  :palm:

Just ordered several lengths of s/s tube for Boris. You should find what you need, here...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1311.R2.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.X2%22+steel+tub.TRS0&_nkw=2+inch+steel+tube&_sacat=0

Good luck, ma duck!  :thumbup:

David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline fcheslop

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 04:26:04 PM »
Hi marra no blame, pain and confusion are fun ??????????????//
Just gives me a greater appreciation for what you achieve
I need to measure the already bored water jacket but have nowt to measure it with sooo good old suck it and see or is that bodgit and scarper engineering will get there
The prob is finding summit that will fit the top bore of the water jacket then I need to make the liner double stepped down to come right through as some one over bored the lower section
We will suck seed as once this wee bit and the displacor link thingy ma bob is done I will only have to correct my own muck ups and its only lived on my bench for 14 months ish :doh:
In a perverse way its actually going to become more to scale as to correct the muck ups Iv ended up altering most of the premachined parts
Iv had a wee holiday from it what with fencing and the Jan Ridders Wiggers but now getting itchy fingers to get on with her over the winter I also intend on clearing or binning all part builds but a you know Im easily led astray
cheers duck