The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Rebirth of a 6 Foot Flail Mower

<< < (29/30) > >>

awemawson:
Old technology here Moray, 1970's tractor and flail probably much the same vintage

Will_D:

--- Quote from: pycoed on May 09, 2019, 07:02:53 AM ---Just be thankful you have the button type yoke! I'd love to know who thought it would be a good idea to use a collar that you have to pull back whilst you are shoving the PTO shaft forwards to engage :bang: :bang: :bang:.

--- End quote ---
Agreed 1000% a few of our machines have collars and they are real PITA

awemawson:
It did occur to me that a Jubilee Clip temporarily applied would sort the push button issue - or even a suitably sized G-Clamp

mc:

--- Quote from: awemawson on May 10, 2019, 02:20:56 AM ---Old technology here Moray, 1970's tractor and flail probably much the same vintage

--- End quote ---

I've worked on older machines with overrun clutches, but have never dealt with a flail. I can't make up my mind whether a flail would have enough of a flywheel effect to justify needing one or not...

It might just be because I'm 6'4", but for big PTO shafts I just hold them between my legs, while wrestling the splines in to line. Once they're aligned and on that first 1/2", you can then worry about retaining pins/collars.

pycoed:
For anyone reading this epic adventure who is not familiar with this flail mower I would add the following ( having just collected my own via Ebay!)

What Andrew is underplaying is the sheer massiveness of this mower - modern good quality 6 ft flail mowers are typically 330 Kg (Kubota) to 450Kg (Bomford's modern machines)--------- this one is 700Kg
It's an absolute monster, so hats off to Andrew for coping with the beast :clap:

When I got mine home I complained to the wife about how edgy my SWB Vitara felt towing it home compared to previous pickup etc. I thought then it was around 400Kg plus the 650Kg of the trailer (8X5 tipper) after contacting Bomfords to get the operator's manual sent to me I was staggered to find the actual weight.

Thankfully mine is in pretty good working order:-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version