The Shop > Wood & Stuff

What is this gizmo on my planer for?

<< < (2/3) > >>

awemawson:
No Jon it rests it's lower end on the outfeed table. Timber passes from right to left in the "overview picture".

In the equivalent Wadkin planer / jointer parts list it is just referred to as a 'fence insert' and the Wadkin instructions merely say to slacken it's wing nut when adjusting the tables, and the let it sit on the surface firmly then tighten the wing nut.

Perhaps there is no further subtly and I'm looking for explanations where none are needed  :scratch:

mexican jon:

--- Quote from: awemawson on August 27, 2016, 07:11:52 AM ---No Jon it rests it's lower end on the outfeed table. Timber passes from right to left in the "overview picture".

In the equivalent Wadkin planer / jointer parts list it is just referred to as a 'fence insert' and the Wadkin instructions merely say to slacken it's wing nut when adjusting the tables, and the let it sit on the surface firmly then tighten the wing nut.

Perhaps there is no further subtly and I'm looking for explanations where none are needed  :scratch:

--- End quote ---

:doh: :doh: Sorry was looking at it the wrong way  :loco: anyway the rest says relevant  :lol:

S. Heslop:
My best guess is that it's just to stop wood thin enough to slip under that gap from getting pushed sideways (accidentally by the operator) on the outfeed table.

inthesticks:
Hello Andrew I think you and S. Heslop are both right. Because of the design allowing for very heavy cuts with this machine this feature allows for support to the work piece on the outfeed side of the table and again because of the design of the fence and its adjustment it provides support and alignment for the fence when adjusting it. My 8" Delta is not designed to make such heavy cuts. The fence has a semicircular cut out over the cutter head as opposed to a step and the adjustment is made on a machined flat surface with a 1/2" keyway for alignment. Your fence is supported on round off center bar stock which would put rotational pressure on the fence thus the adjustable support.

Cheers
CB

chipenter:
You just leave a gap for timber between the fence and the protector so you can't stick a hand in there , keep as much of the blades covered as posible , I lost the tip of one finger in an overhand planer just felt like I had been hit with a hammer and it was gone .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version