Author Topic: What is this gizmo on my planer for?  (Read 9372 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
What is this gizmo on my planer for?
« on: August 27, 2016, 05:15:45 AM »
I've been using my Dominion Supreme Eliot combination woodworking machine quite a bit recently (making a vast linen store / airing cupboard for support of our letting holiday cottages) and using the planer I realised I don't have a clear understanding what a bit of the planer fence is intended for.

It slides in a vertical slot in the planer fence and is locked by a wing nut. I'd assumed it was to give more stability to the fence - maybe to stop vibration - but I've a feeling that there must be more to it than that.

Virtually every 'professional' (ie heavy cast iron) planer that I see pictures of on the web has a very similar arrangement.

... so what am I missing ? What's it for ?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

Re: What is this gizmo on my planer for?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:29:34 AM »
Hi there, Andrew,

I think it has two functions, first to (help) hold the work-piece flat to the table and, second, to do that in a way that facilitates forward movement but opposes kick-back.

The modern equivalent, I think, is a plastic gizmo with parallel flat leaves, all slanting in the appropriate direction.  The term 'feather-board' comes to mind.  They are also recommended for use on router tables.

A browse on the Axminster site might show you some pix of the thing I've tried to describe.

I'd try to find you a pic and add it to this post but I'm eager to go and machine a back-plate for my recently acquired (pre-enjoyed) 4" Grip-Tru lathe chuck.  Please excuse me. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 05:49:33 AM »
No Pete I don't think so - I'm familiar with anti kick back devices. This gizmo stays in the plane of the fence and the timber slides past it - the only thing it's touching is the 'outfeed' table, which is height adjustable, so I assume (dangerous) this is why the gizmo slides vertically.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 06:42:52 AM »
Hi there, again, Andrew,

Chuck back-plate job got delayed by real-world factors!!   :bang:   :bang:   :bang:  So here I am again.

My mistake about finger/feather boards and anti kick-back - I wasn't looking closely enough at your photos. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 06:48:33 AM »
No Pete I don't think so - I'm familiar with anti kick back devices. This gizmo stays in the plane of the fence and the timber slides past it - the only thing it's touching is the 'outfeed' table, which is height adjustable, so I assume (dangerous) this is why the gizmo slides vertically.

Do you not mean the infeed table  :scratch: and as far as i'm aware it is just a support fence that you adjust depending on how much you lower the infeed table  :thumbup: It also stops you putting a line down the side of the piece of timber you are planing  :scratch: without it the side of the timber running against the guard could end up marked.
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 07:11:52 AM »
No Jon it rests it's lower end on the outfeed table. Timber passes from right to left in the "overview picture".

In the equivalent Wadkin planer / jointer parts list it is just referred to as a 'fence insert' and the Wadkin instructions merely say to slacken it's wing nut when adjusting the tables, and the let it sit on the surface firmly then tighten the wing nut.

Perhaps there is no further subtly and I'm looking for explanations where none are needed  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 07:24:22 AM »
No Jon it rests it's lower end on the outfeed table. Timber passes from right to left in the "overview picture".

In the equivalent Wadkin planer / jointer parts list it is just referred to as a 'fence insert' and the Wadkin instructions merely say to slacken it's wing nut when adjusting the tables, and the let it sit on the surface firmly then tighten the wing nut.

Perhaps there is no further subtly and I'm looking for explanations where none are needed  :scratch:

:doh: :doh: Sorry was looking at it the wrong way  :loco: anyway the rest says relevant  :lol:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »
My best guess is that it's just to stop wood thin enough to slip under that gap from getting pushed sideways (accidentally by the operator) on the outfeed table.

inthesticks

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
Hello Andrew I think you and S. Heslop are both right. Because of the design allowing for very heavy cuts with this machine this feature allows for support to the work piece on the outfeed side of the table and again because of the design of the fence and its adjustment it provides support and alignment for the fence when adjusting it. My 8" Delta is not designed to make such heavy cuts. The fence has a semicircular cut out over the cutter head as opposed to a step and the adjustment is made on a machined flat surface with a 1/2" keyway for alignment. Your fence is supported on round off center bar stock which would put rotational pressure on the fence thus the adjustable support.

Cheers
CB

Offline chipenter

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 02:36:51 PM »
You just leave a gap for timber between the fence and the protector so you can't stick a hand in there , keep as much of the blades covered as posible , I lost the tip of one finger in an overhand planer just felt like I had been hit with a hammer and it was gone .
Jeff

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »
Oh yes Jeff, it doesn't take prisoners - that motor is 7.5 HP with significant inertia in the 4" cutter bar spinning at 5000 rpm  :bugeye:

(sorry to hear about your finger - can you still pull a Bow in defence of the Realm - remember Agincourt  )
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline chipenter

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 02:35:20 AM »
Agincourt Was the first recorded death by a musket , Only lost the tip and have a funny nail but I can still pull a bow on a watch makers lathe .
Jeff