The Craftmans Shop > PowerSports

What to do with a junked Subaru ej20 engine

<< < (2/2)

nickle:
Ok a couple of quick calls to the local scrapyards tomorrow will give me a feel for the balance between time to tear it down and reasonable scrap prices. I think the injectors, throttle barrel and sensors can go to eBay. I'll keep you updated on the outcome and any goodies I find in the process.

nickle:
Scrap value dirty was less than a beer so out came the tools. I've got a couple of kgs of alloy from accessories and brackets so far. I have a loom, some sensors and injectors to stick on eBay.
I've used a cheater bar a lot!
The heads are off and I am working on stripping them. Lots of nice metric fasteners going in a bucket. Does anyone have a good method for removing valves without a valve spring compressor?

When I'm done I should be set for a long while for aluminium and I will have had a bit of fun pulling it down. Engines have come a long way since the 1965 998cc mini engine that I tore down last.

tom osselton:
I can remember dad putting pieces of wood to suport the valves on the floor and putting the push lawnmower (lower end) under the car tire to hold it in place and using its shaft to remove the holders while kneeling  on the other end!

Spurry:

--- Quote from: nickle on August 28, 2016, 06:32:06 AM ---. Does anyone have a good method for removing valves without a valve spring compressor?

--- End quote ---
Not familiar with that particular engine, but you can usually use a deep socket to place on the spring retainers and give the socket a brisk tap with a hammer. The collets usually will spring out. Main disadvantage is that it's very difficult to put them back with the same method. :palm:
Pete

sparky961:

--- Quote from: nickle on August 28, 2016, 06:32:06 AM ---Does anyone have a good method for removing valves without a valve spring compressor?

--- End quote ---

Does an angle grinder with cutoff disc fit in there?  Questionable safety, but might work.  Cutting torch might be safer, as you don't have the brittle spinning disc to contend with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version