Author Topic: What to do with a junked Subaru ej20 engine  (Read 9101 times)

Offline nickle

What to do with a junked Subaru ej20 engine
« on: August 22, 2016, 07:07:41 AM »
Hello all,

Whilst driving to work the other day I managed to loose several teeth from the timing belt in my Subaru Liberty (legacy to those in the US and possibly elsewhere) the result was a collision of valves and Pistons and subsequently a changeover engine was installed in my car as the cost of rebuild including Pistons was going to be greater than a changeover.

I dragged home the dead engine with a view to salvaging useful parts and putting the little bits of aluminium away for a bit of foundry work before taking the rest of the engine to the scrap yard. Just for reference it's the 2.0 litre NA ej 20 engine and had done 160,000km or 100,000 miles and was more than 20,000 km off being due for its next timing belt replacement.

So... What's worth the effort to salvage? Injectors and all of the sensors etc are easy to grab. Should I dig deeper for other components for spares or useful bits in the shed. I think the wrist pins might be a bit small at 23mm for cylindrical squares but I'm happy to be corrected. The timing belt tensioners are nice bearings so I have kept them.

What are your thoughts?

Offline hanermo

Re: What to do with a junked Subaru ej20 engine
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
Depends on what You do, and how much.
I once kept many parts from a BMMW2002, and never used them.

If you use chains for motion, those components might be useful, if there are any (no idea).
Timing belt sprockets, maybe.
Oil/water pump, gas pump, depending.. if they are electric can be useful.

A new electric pump for anything is dirt cheap, today.
Dirty, used, out-of-spec components are not useful for much.
Sort-of-useful auto parts are not useful in the auto stuff, mostly, perhaps pumps and fill plug excepted.

Modifying anything to be in-spec is more difficult and expensive than new import bits.
It is harder to measure a timing sprocket than make a new one.
Or buy a new one for 10-20-30€.

RobWilson

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 12:56:41 PM »
Weigh it in an buy a few beers with the money  :beer:

Rob

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 02:46:06 PM »
Search ebay to see what Suberu spares are fetching .
Jeff

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 05:03:52 PM »
 :hammer:
Beware: Old Fart Ruminating  :bugeye::

A long time ago when i worked in Manchester I got to know a scrap yard dealer who had the contract with the council to clear up and take away abanoned cars etc.

Les used to take off a few parts, take out the engines blocks, gear box and diffs.

The body was sent to the crusher and he was paid "light iron"

The big bits were weighed in at a slightly higer price (like mixed iron)

My point was at the time:

Given a source of cheap labour (me) and a few power tools an engine block could be stripped down into pure metals relatuively easily:

Cast Iron/Alloy Blocks
Cast Iron/Alloy Heads
Pistons
Con-rods
Nuts/Bolts/Hi-grade steel

Gear Box would be Alloy housing and lots of hi-grade steel

Doing this on a few blocks would surely up the scrap value??

I have always loved taking tings apart and sorting out the bits and pieces!

Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline nickle

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 06:55:41 AM »
Ok a couple of quick calls to the local scrapyards tomorrow will give me a feel for the balance between time to tear it down and reasonable scrap prices. I think the injectors, throttle barrel and sensors can go to eBay. I'll keep you updated on the outcome and any goodies I find in the process.

Offline nickle

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 06:32:06 AM »
Scrap value dirty was less than a beer so out came the tools. I've got a couple of kgs of alloy from accessories and brackets so far. I have a loom, some sensors and injectors to stick on eBay.
I've used a cheater bar a lot!
The heads are off and I am working on stripping them. Lots of nice metric fasteners going in a bucket. Does anyone have a good method for removing valves without a valve spring compressor?

When I'm done I should be set for a long while for aluminium and I will have had a bit of fun pulling it down. Engines have come a long way since the 1965 998cc mini engine that I tore down last.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 03:57:58 PM »
I can remember dad putting pieces of wood to suport the valves on the floor and putting the push lawnmower (lower end) under the car tire to hold it in place and using its shaft to remove the holders while kneeling  on the other end!

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 06:20:04 PM »
. Does anyone have a good method for removing valves without a valve spring compressor?
Not familiar with that particular engine, but you can usually use a deep socket to place on the spring retainers and give the socket a brisk tap with a hammer. The collets usually will spring out. Main disadvantage is that it's very difficult to put them back with the same method. :palm:
Pete

Offline sparky961

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 06:53:55 PM »
Does anyone have a good method for removing valves without a valve spring compressor?

Does an angle grinder with cutoff disc fit in there?  Questionable safety, but might work.  Cutting torch might be safer, as you don't have the brittle spinning disc to contend with.