Author Topic: DDCSV1.1 4 Axis controller  (Read 438608 times)

Offline chriscnc

Re: DDCSV1.1 4 Axis controller
« Reply #675 on: September 14, 2017, 04:18:20 AM »
So big news everyone..... and a big problem for some...I spoke to the real factory and more specifically the lead engineer who developed the DDCSV1.1( i lived in China for 5 years so still have sourcing contacts) turns out my problem is because my X and Y step rates are not equal.... this is why the arcs are off.  So even tho you can set different steps per mm for X and Y it will not work out. so X and Y pulses per step must be equal... my machine uses a ball screw on X and a rack and pinion on Y and has different steps per mm... wish I knew this before... :lol:

So basically if your machine has the same steps per mm for X and Y your gold ( this is also why you can't do arcs in Z or helix moves all axis must match in steps per mm) if your machine does not have equal X/Y steps this control will not work for you.

On the positive side, the DDCSV replacement ver 2 is 40 days out and will have this option and a whole new software (no the new software will not work on the 1.1). Luckily I have a smaller router that has the same ball screws for x/y I can use this on and the factory is sending me a V2 to beta test.

Offline zenbot

« Reply #676 on: September 15, 2017, 01:54:34 PM »
will the new version support inches?

Offline TurboRexed

« Reply #677 on: September 15, 2017, 04:15:05 PM »
So big news everyone..... and a big problem for some...I spoke to the real factory and more specifically the lead engineer who developed the DDCSV1.1( i lived in China for 5 years so still have sourcing contacts) turns out my problem is because my X and Y step rates are not equal.... this is why the arcs are off.  So even tho you can set different steps per mm for X and Y it will not work out. so X and Y pulses per step must be equal... my machine uses a ball screw on X and a rack and pinion on Y and has different steps per mm... wish I knew this before... :lol:

So basically if your machine has the same steps per mm for X and Y your gold ( this is also why you can't do arcs in Z or helix moves all axis must match in steps per mm) if your machine does not have equal X/Y steps this control will not work for you.

On the positive side, the DDCSV replacement ver 2 is 40 days out and will have this option and a whole new software (no the new software will not work on the 1.1). Luckily I have a smaller router that has the same ball screws for x/y I can use this on and the factory is sending me a V2 to beta test.
chriscnc,
 I had the same problem where I installed the DDCSV on a small Emco lathe, the one axis was 2mm per rotation and the other axis was 5mm per rotation, and I also picked up that the G2 and G3 commands would track the wrong arc. I however could reproduced the arc error mathematically using the ratio between the two axis and thus realised that they have screwed up the arc math constants in the algorithms when the axis were not  the same. To solve for this error I changed my Microstepping resolution on my motor drivers to reflect the inverse of the mm/rotation ratio between the two axis. My lathe now runs perfect arcs.

Just another point, I see many reviewers of this product make the statement that this controller cannot be used on a lathe, and while this holds true for threading and tapping, which is simillar for a milling machine scenario (there is no inputs available for spindle orientation), it is running perfectly on my small lathe install. I am using Autodesk Inventer with the Cam module and I have written a DDCSV Turning Post for Autodesk.

Marius

Offline chriscnc

« Reply #678 on: September 15, 2017, 07:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the info, I did the math and tried to match the X and Y with micro stepping, the best i can come up with is 20 steps per mm split so it's not going to work for me. But the new control is coming so hopefully it will do the trick.

I will ask them about inch, it didn't come up as im a metric guy

Offline PK

« Reply #679 on: September 15, 2017, 07:45:30 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I had purchased one of these to put into a machine we are building for a customer one axis is ball screw, the other is rack and pinion.  Knowing it's not going to do the job *BEFORE* we spend a week trying to figure out what we stuffed up is definitely the preferred option!
PK

Offline old Zozo

« Reply #680 on: September 16, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »
Thanks for the info, I did the math and tried to match the X and Y with micro stepping, the best i can come up with is 20 steps per mm split so it's not going to work for me.

My controller made arc-mistake too, under 250 step/mm.
What driver do you use? Could you increase microstep?

Offline chriscnc

« Reply #681 on: September 16, 2017, 11:22:06 AM »
Hi Old Zoro--

My issue is the 20mm difference between X and Y per mm. To use arcs they must be equal steps per mm.  My setup has a rack and pinion on Y and ball screw on X so there is a slight difference in steps ( X=295, Y=315, Z=375).  I'm using the original IMS drives that came with the machine and they have 8 levels of micro-stepping available (2~256) in Binary and 6 levels in decimal (5~250). Now I did a test and modified the Post in fusion to use no arcs (breaks arcs up into little G01 moves) and the Interpolation Math of X and Y did use the axis values and ran correctly. The issue is Arc math G02/03 ties the axis together and must be equal in steps. attaceh is the drive info and my mechanical resolutions if someone else is seeing a closer match for X/Y micro stepping.

X= 1 rev= 6.35mm motion (2000steps micro steping X10)=314.96 steps per mm
Y= 1 rev= 10.896mm motion  (3200 micro steps X16)= 293.84 step per mm

Offline old Zozo

« Reply #682 on: September 16, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »
Chriscnc,

I prefer linuxcnc/EMC2 postprocessor at Fusion360. I tried a lot of post too, but it is the correct one for my controller.

Offline TurboRexed

« Reply #683 on: September 17, 2017, 07:30:43 AM »
You are buggered Chriscnc, if you cannot change that y axis slightly, the new revision controller is your only fix 👍

Offline TurboRexed

« Reply #684 on: September 17, 2017, 07:33:39 AM »
My controller made arc-mistake too, under 250 step/mm.
What driver do you use? Could you increase microstep?

old Zozo
What is your x and y axis mm/1rev ? and can your driver do microstepping?

Offline old Zozo

« Reply #685 on: September 17, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
What is your x and y axis mm/1rev ? and can your driver do microstepping?

I use trapezoid screw,  pitch of all axis is  is 6.35mm/rev.
Driver type is DM556D , microsteps are from 1/2 to 1/128.

( "...buggered..." - this should not have been    )
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:09:57 PM by old Zozo »

Offline TurboRexed

« Reply #686 on: September 17, 2017, 11:37:54 AM »
I use trapezoid screw,  pitch of all axis is  is 6.35mm/rev.
Driver type is DM556D , microsteps are from 1/2 to 1/128.

( "...buggered..." -???   :hammer:   )
No this sounds perfect, if all your motors are 200 steps per rev, I would set the microstepping dip switches for all axis to 10, thus "sw5-sw6-sw7-sw8" must be "off-on-on-off". This will make them run quiet and still have some good torque available, but in theory you can make the microstepping any setting as long as they are the same for all your axis on this machine.

Offline groszek

« Reply #687 on: October 15, 2017, 08:08:53 AM »
Hi all
For more than a year I have used the RMHV2.1 controller with original software. As for my modeling needs, it is ok. However, during this time there were some problems that I hope with your help will solve.
1. I made a touch probe, and set up with the manual but after changing the parameters and pressing the key1, nothing happens. # 446 function of External key 1: find center. Did anyone run this function?
2. Has anyone managed to use the diameter and height adjustments available in the parameters?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:04:12 PM by groszek »

Offline blades

« Reply #688 on: October 15, 2017, 03:40:56 PM »

It is exciting news that a new version is on the horizon, and I for one can't wait to see it!

With regards to your question if it supports inches, I also hope it does, as I primarily work in inches.
That said, I have set up & run my controller in inches, and it seems to work just fine that way. I really think the controller's firmware should be set up more generically in "units" since it can support either, and not assume mm specifically.
Bill

- No best but better

Offline zenbot

« Reply #689 on: October 16, 2017, 12:13:23 AM »
How did you do that?

It is exciting news that a new version is on the horizon, and I for one can't wait to see it!

With regards to your question if it supports inches, I also hope it does, as I primarily work in inches.
That said, I have set up & run my controller in inches, and it seems to work just fine that way. I really think the controller's firmware should be set up more generically in "units" since it can support either, and not assume mm specifically.

Offline blades

« Reply #690 on: October 16, 2017, 06:30:03 PM »
Easy. Basically, just ignore any setting that references MM, and treat it as inches. Just watch the default rapid & feed rates, which are too high for inches per minute.
Bill

- No best but better

Offline zenbot

« Reply #691 on: October 16, 2017, 07:18:57 PM »
when I tried that, it lost .001 inches for every inch I jogged.  the readout would start out 0, then .999, the 1.998, the 2.997, etc.

Offline johnsattuk

« Reply #692 on: October 17, 2017, 05:13:34 PM »
I want to use my controller on a new project and have reached the testng stage, everything worked manually as expected,  however it ran very roughly on an actual program,  took a while and some test programs to discover that it does not like I & J codes. :doh:
The literature says that it does,  is this something that has got broken in the 'plus' version or has it always been this way or is just my controller.

Offline johnsattuk

« Reply #693 on: October 18, 2017, 04:06:47 PM »
Don't know what i've done but seems to be working OK at the moment  :Doh:

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #694 on: October 18, 2017, 07:07:07 PM »
You told someone about the problem you will never see that again! :D

Offline johnsattuk

« Reply #695 on: October 19, 2017, 01:29:22 PM »
You told someone about the problem you will never see that again! :D

Problem is still there  :scratch:

Seems to be related to steps/mm,  ~300 I have problems,  ~600 it runs OK,  without G02/03 runs very smoothly on any steps/mm so I do have a way out.

Not sure if it's some sort of timing issue with my driver,  I am running Vexta 5 phase motors and drivers which generally run perfectly smoothly

Offline blades

« Reply #696 on: October 19, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
when I tried that, it lost .001 inches for every inch I jogged.  the readout would start out 0, then .999, the 1.998, the 2.997, etc.

Very strange, some sort of cumulative error.
Bill

- No best but better

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #697 on: October 23, 2017, 05:35:37 AM »
Hello,

I have been rather busy recently, so I was unfortunately not following the development of this topic for a while.
As I have read, a new version of the controller is supposed to come out soon.
This is rather unfortunate in my opinion, since it probably makes redeveloping the entire software pretty pointless, as it will soon be superseeded.
If someone could give me the contact information of that engineer, we could coordinate development better.
I will try to get inches fixed and Ethernet working, but I don't believe in writing the rest of the software anymore to be honest.
Generally, any info about the future of this controller is very appreciated.

I wished the new software could be made compatible with the new controller.

Best regards,
Benedikt

Offline kwood94xj

« Reply #698 on: October 23, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
That really is unfortunate as I bought this controller because the software that was being developed here was looking like it would be soo much better. Really the biggest thing for me is getting inches to work. 

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #699 on: October 23, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »
That really is unfortunate as I bought this controller because the software that was being developed here was looking like it would be soo much better. Really the biggest thing for me is getting inches to work.
Hi, kwood94xj,

As long as there is enough demand and also certainly, if I can get hold of the engineer in charge, I will continue development of the new CNC software.
In any case am I looking into fixing inches and I am working on a new system kernel that supports Ethernet network connectivity.

Best regards,
Benedikt