The Shop > CNC

What's needed

<< < (2/2)

Brass_Machine:
Over on CNCZone, mduckett has a nice build going on. I got them from his thread. On Page 12...

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop-machines/168634-cnc-12.html

PK:
One tip.
Save yourself some pain and leave the undriven end of each ballscrew unsupported.
On a small machine you won't see any rod whip and it makes it HEAPS easier to line everything up.
The screw manufacturer will have a table for the maximum unsupported length of screw for a given RPM... Look it up if you are unsure..

PK

Imagineering:

--- Quote from: PK on July 20, 2016, 05:34:11 PM ---One tip.
Save yourself some pain and leave the undriven end of each ballscrew unsupported.
On a small machine you won't see any rod whip and it makes it HEAPS easier to line everything up.
The screw manufacturer will have a table for the maximum unsupported length of screw for a given RPM... Look it up if you are unsure..
PK

--- End quote ---

I disagree with you on that one. I tried that and ended up with Screw related Harmonics which marred the finish of the item I was machining.

My method for lining every thing up;
Make sure the BallNut is secured in the intended centre of the BallScrew Axis.
When fabricating the End Plates which hold the Bearing, make the Mounting Holes a mm oversized. (eg 6mm Bolts, use 7mm Holes).
Bolt everything together so that the End Plates can move laterally.
Drive the Axis to the Motor end of it's travel and nip up the Mounting Bolts at that end.
Drive the Axis to the other end of it's travel and nip up the Mounting Bolts at that end as well.
Drive the Axis back and forth between limits and check that there is no binding anywhere.
If all is well, tighten the Bolts fully, and repeat for the other Axes.

I've converted two Mills and built a CNC Router from scratch, and have used this method with success on all three.

PK:

--- Quote from: Imagineering on July 21, 2016, 02:10:51 AM ---
I disagree with you on that one. I tried that and ended up with Screw related Harmonics which marred the finish of the item I was machining.

--- End quote ---
The number you are looking for is the critical speed for a given length of a screw. If you go faster than that then you get whip and the sort of harmonics you describe. Slower and it doesn't happen.
Nook has a couple of calculators for it on this page http://www.nookindustries.com/EngineeringTool/Index

PK

kayzed1:
Thank you All, lots to read up on now. I must start to save some of my monthly pension and then i can  :zap:
#Lyn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version