The Shop > CNC

The basics

<< < (2/16) > >>

Manxmodder:
John B: Naturally, there was another rather well written build log but alas, no can find.

John,is this the one you refer to?  http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/43645-Making-Acetal-leadscrew-nuts-the-easy-way

I have made about 4 of these to date for acme threads I have screw cut on my Harrison.

The Evanut is really simple to make and has no backlash at all.......Oz

Joules:
Excellent THREAD Oz, I particularly liked the idea of using a glow plug in a short length of leadscrew.  My twist would be to put a thermocouple in with the glow plug to have accurate control of temperature.   I recon Evanuts will be going in my (distant) future desktop CNC mill project.

Will, a good starting point might be a cheap stepper motor and driver controlled by the new BBC Μicro Bit.  It would allow you to play with a smart power feed for the mill, be it X or Z axis.

Manxmodder:
Yes indeed,very good thread. Evan sure hit the sweet spot with that idea,the thread is still being usefully contributed to 5 years from the first post.......OZ.

PK:
One of the great truisms of DIY CNC is that everyone ends up using ball screws and linear bearings.
The interewebs are overflowing with "Cheap ballscrew alternative" and "Skate bearings just as good as ...." type articles. Ask those guys to show you 5 things they have made on those machines and the excuses start coming.

nrml:
Chinese ball screws and nuts don't cost that much these days. Unless you are just experimenting on a shoestring budget, there is very little reason not to spend some money for the massive improvement they will bring.

Chinese and other far eastern products get slagged off by a lot of people (sometimes with some justification) but they have done more to improve the average homeworkshop than most people could dream of a few decades back. The few examples of Chinese made ballscrews and Hiwin rail knock offs I've seen and handled have been excellent for the price. I would have no hesitation in buying or recommending them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version