Author Topic: Machines outdoors for a while  (Read 2717 times)

Offline loply

Machines outdoors for a while
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:50:36 AM »
Hi folks,

Been a while since I posted but I'm hoping for a bit of advice.

I'm getting my double garage demolished so that I can build a new one. The current one is poorly built and leaking all over.

Though I'm using a shipping container for temporary storage during the build, there's no way I can fit the big machines (lathe, milling machine, surface grinder) in it as well as everything else.

I'm thinking of leaving them outdoors therefore.

Just wondering whether people think it's inevitable they're going to rust, or whether I might get away with a good lathering of WD40 followed by wrapping them in lots of plastic dust sheet material? Or is this potentially a really regrettable idea?

Would probably be 8-10 weeks outdoors... Bound to rain quite a bit at some point during that...

Cheers for any tips,
Rich

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Machines outdoors for a while
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:09:13 AM »
WD40 ain't much good really.

When I moved here in 1994 I had a ML7/T in a leaky garage, always rusting, sprayed dozens of times with WD40  ....  :palm:

Was told to use 3in1 spray then wrap in cling film .... because oil does not stop moisture penetration but cling film does ..

Messy job but that ML7 had no rust 2 years later when I sold it.

DBC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 12:42:02 PM »
Hi folks,

Been a while since I posted but I'm hoping for a bit of advice.

I'm getting my double garage demolished so that I can build a new one. The current one is poorly built and leaking all over.

Though I'm using a shipping container for temporary storage during the build, there's no way I can fit the big machines (lathe, milling machine, surface grinder) in it as well as everything else.

I'm thinking of leaving them outdoors therefore.

Just wondering whether people think it's inevitable they're going to rust, or whether I might get away with a good lathering of WD40 followed by wrapping them in lots of plastic dust sheet material? Or is this potentially a really regrettable idea?

Would probably be 8-10 weeks outdoors... Bound to rain quite a bit at some point during that...

Cheers for any tips,
Rich

Hi Loply, Bluechips advice seems pretty sound to me.
You may also consider coating everything rustable with waxoyl and then putting the cling film directly onto that.

Beware of just covering machines with non breathable polythene sheet on its own because condensation will form on the underside and drip on the machine surfaces....OZ.

Edited to fix quote tags.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:21:38 AM by Manxmodder »
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »
Shell Ensis is your friend. Google it. Used by the military for rustproofing 'stuff' and easily comes off with white spirit.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex