Author Topic: Homemade marking dye  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Toolshed

Homemade marking dye
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:47:48 PM »
Running this one by the folks here.  I am getting ready to start casting my Gingery Milling Machine parts.  Hopefully will have something to show soon.

Anyway, not wanting to spend half a paycheck (so it seems) on some professional marking fluid, I have decided to TRY making some.

Lo and behold I had a pack of black RIT dye lying around, as well as some denatured alcohol.

Mixed those two together and I do believe I have made some very inexpensive marking fluid.  It seems to have worked well on the different surfaces I have tried it on. 

I have to admit the stuff is a bloody nightmare on skin.  Also not sure on cleanup, though I know denatured does work.

I have used regular 'magic markers' before, but I tend to go through a lot of those it seems (sure, leave a cap off for a few....)

Anyone else have experience with marking dyes and such they'd like to share?? 

No matter where you go....There you are....

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Google Map of members.  Send me your city/state/country and I will get you added in!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yzP6dM2C2yeti0msljLA5Ny_pwQ

Offline efrench

Re: Homemade marking dye
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »
Have you tried Prussian Blue from an artists' supply store?

Offline nrml

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 03:09:34 PM »
I haven't tried it as layout fluid yet, but I use a tiny dab of nail varnish on nuts and bolts to serve as a visual indicator of loosening.

Cheap nail polish either neat or thinned out with a suitable solvent should adhere well, is non toxic and can be removed easily with acetone, You can get it in lots of different colours too.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:29:04 PM by nrml »

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »
Prussian blue dries very slowly and is best used as an indicator when scraping a surface. I've used ordinary gloss paint for this, it does the job but is very messy.

Offline borriss

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 05:53:45 AM »
Hi,
What I have found works well is a mixture of old ballpoint pen ink mixed with methylated spirits with a few flakes of shellac added.
Make the recipe to suit how light or dark you need by varying the constituents.
Store in a sealed bottle with a small paint brush jammed in the lid.
Good luck.
Borriss